House warming present: dead pump

May 6, 2015
Lakeland, FL
Good morning all!
Another new home horror story here. Just closed on a new house last week in Lakeland, FL. It came with a 22500gal inground rectangle with elevated spa, run by dual 1-1/4hp single-speed pumps. I knew the spa pump was DOA and had plans to deal with it in time. Unfortunately the day after we closed on the house, the lone remaining pump bit the dust too! ?. So, albeit unplanned, I have to get things moving quickly before my new summer fun turns into a giant mostiquto breeding pit.
Now, would it be possible/reasonable to ditch the 2 pump set-up in favor of a single pump? And if so, which one? I was thinking a VS but the reviews I've read on Amazon are terrible for basically every make & model (20-25% 1-star ratings). They don't seem to last more than 12-18months before requiring major work. What about a 2-speed pump?
The pool is about 25yrs old and every inch of pipe is 1-1/2". 2 drains/ 1 in the spa and 1 in the pool; 1 skimmer in the (main) pool. The pump set-up is about 15' from the nearest corner. There's a gas heater unit but it's not connected and I have plans to remove it anyway. This isn't my first pool but it is the first with 2 pumps and frankly, I'd like to drop it back to just 1 if it can be done the right way.
This is a great resource/site and I look forward to whatever help you guys can throw my way! Cheers ?

In Lakeland, you're most likely better off with a 2-speed pump. Your electric rates probably wouldn't provide payback with a variable speed pump.

If you'll post a pick of the pool and spa plumbing we can see if it's feasible to combine the two systems into one. They most likely used two pumps so as not to have to oversize the main pump to feed the spa. Since the availability of 2-speed pumps have increased it may be possible to combine the systems onto one pump.

Just a couple of things, first if it is just the pump motor that died, you can replace it without replacing the whole pump and save considerably amount if the wet end is still good (it is less work also as the plumbing can all be left in place for a motor swap). Second I read your question as asking if you can replace this pump with a single speed pump to save money, and the answer is in the short term yes, but a 2 speed pump will likely pay for itself in electrical savings within the first year or so depending on electric rates and hours of use, so buying a single speed pump almost never makes economic sense.

If your spa pump is on a separate loop from the filter, you should keep them separate...the spa will work much better with a larger pump, and you can get an even smaller (=more efficient) pump for the pool. Assuming that is the case, a 3/4 or 1hp 2 speed for the pool, and the same size as the old one for the spa (single speed is fine, since you'd only run it when the spa is on).

Here's what I can determine. Correct me if I'm wrong about anything.

Looks like there are two suctions from the pool and one from the spa.

There appear to be two returns to the pool and one of them has a check valve.

Does the one with the check valve go to the air blower?

There are also two returns to the spa.

The heater is only plumbed to heat the spa, and there's a 3-way valve to valve it in or out of the circuit.

While it's technically possible to connect the plumbing and use just one pump to run both pool and spa, I'm not sure that's the best way to do it.

I see in your sig that you have 2 pumps the same size. Is that correct?

Do you want to run the pool and spa returns at the same time? If not it's just a matter of replacing the failed main pump and plumbing the spa suction into the main pump with a 3-way valve and remove the tablet feeder and plumb from there to the spa returns through a 3-way valve.

I'd probably suggest a 1½ hp 2-speed full rated pump if the existing pumps are 1¼ hp.

It would help if you could post the nameplate data off the pumps.

You're correct on all counts! I know it baffles a lot of people but I really don't need or want a heater. I don't like hot tubs and if its cold enough outside to need to heat the water, I won't be out there anyway; but hey, it's Florida! :cool: So, Yes, If possible, I'd rather run everything off of a single pump and save the cost(s) of a second unit.
IMG_0531.jpg
FullSizeRender.jpg
These are from the newer pump (that just went out). The 2nd is pretty much identical, just didn't photo nearly as well.

Here's what I can determine. Correct me if I'm wrong about anything.

Looks like there are two suctions from the pool and one from the spa.

There appear to be two returns to the pool and one of them has a check valve.

Does the one with the check valve go to the air blower?

There are also two returns to the spa.

The heater is only plumbed to heat the spa, and there's a 3-way valve to valve it in or out of the circuit.

While it's technically possible to connect the plumbing and use just one pump to run both pool and spa, I'm not sure that's the best way to do it.

I see in your sig that you have 2 pumps the same size. Is that correct?

Do you want to run the pool and spa returns at the same time? If not it's just a matter of replacing the failed main pump and plumbing the spa suction into the main pump with a 3-way valve and remove the tablet feeder and plumb from there to the spa returns through a 3-way valve.

I'd probably suggest a 1½ hp 2-speed full rated pump if the existing pumps are 1¼ hp.

It would help if you could post the nameplate data off the pumps.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Since both pumps are the same, you can plumb everything together with 3-way valves and just use one pump to run either.

I'd probably go with a 1.5 hp uprated or a 1 hp full rated pump as a replacement. Or you could just replace the motor if the wet end is in god shape.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.