Pump is making a humming noise??

Apr 24, 2014
St. Louis
I installed a new multiport valve and new pvc today, and changed out my sand (it was awful even after trying a deep clean). When I got the pool filled up enough, I turned it to backwash and turned pump on and it backwashed just fine. Then I switched it to rinse, turned the pump on and got a humming noise and no suction. I did this about 5 times, and still no pump power, just humming. I turned the multiport to filter, and tried to power the pump again, and still humming. Any suggestions? I got the pool fever and can't get it going!!

Believe I would make sure the multi-port valve is installed and functioning correctly. Is the pump strainer full of water when you try to rinse or filter and are there any other valves between the filter and pool? If you can backwash but not rinse or filter it sounds like the multi-port valve is broken and won't change positions or is partly plugged.

I have made sure all valves are open, and it still doesn't work. I checked for impeller obstruction and it moves both ways, so I unhooked the pump and plugged up real quick and it still hummed and made the same noise, so I unplugged and tried to take the back end off to get access to the capacitor etc and the bolts are so rusted I cant get any off! I don't know much about motors so I think I might just save time and go buy a new pump today. Any suggestions? What about one with two speeds? I added my pump info to my signature.

Which Pump??

The one I currently have is the Hayward PowerFlo LX 1.5hp, and I could replace with the same thing. Or I was thinking maybe a two speed, and the one Im looking at is the Hayward PowerFlo Matrix 2 speed 1.5hp. I need help! If I order today soon I will have it tomorrow, so I need to make a decision. What are the pros of a two speed? How do you switch speeds? Thank you guys!

Also...how do you switch speeds on the two speed one? My current one just plugs in to the outlet...

Re: Which Pump??

Hi JenMichelle I did the same thing just this year...the 1 hp 2 speed matrix has a switch at the back of the pump...it is a three positions switch. On high, on low, and off....the pump runs very quiet when compared to my old Hayward 1.5 hp power flo lx...
The new pumps performance :
on low speed with my two inch PVC set up it pumps about 20 gal per minute...on high it,pumps about 50 gals per minute...of course your set up will be different....I am pleased with its performance so far. I have a flo vis flow meter installed as well.

It wouldn't be a capacitor if it pumps water in backwash mode. Something is blocking flow in the filter or after.

What is wrong with your existing pump? It should be cheaper to just replace the motor on your existing wet end with a 2-speed version. But there is nothing wrong with getting a new 2-speed pump. You likely only need the 1HP version to save a little bit of money.

Just run on low most of the time and switch to high when you are vacuuming or backwashing.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support

What is wrong with your existing pump? It should be cheaper to just replace the motor on your existing wet end with a 2-speed version. But there is nothing wrong with getting a new 2-speed pump. You likely only need the 1HP version to save a little bit of money.

Just run on low most of the time and switch to high when you are vacuuming or backwashing.

This other thread she has is what is going wrong. http://www.troublefreepool.com/threads/92335-Pump-is-making-a-humming-noise

Sorry, I just thought since I had decided to replace the pump it was a different "topic", and should have a new thread heading. Thought I was doing the right thing. So much forum etiquette to learn....

- - - Updated - - -

It will not run in any mode now, including backwash mode. I took the pump in and was told it was toast, so I decided to follow advice and get the 2 speed. The other one was pretty old looking and I'm guessing the original with the pool install 10 years ago. Anywho...I would rather start new anyway! Thank you all for your help:D Pump won't be here until Friday so I will tackle that then. In the meantime, I see leaking on the outside of the pool around the skimmer box so I guess I will search the forum on how to replace that:scratch:

It will not run in any mode now, including backwash mode.

I will go back to my original comment on a bad capacitor then. About $20.00 for a new one. Might be worth it to have a backup pump handy if you can get the old one apart.

I took the pump in and was told it was toast, so I decided to follow advice and get the 2 speed.

Well the pool store said it was because they wanted to sell you a new unit. You will like having the 2 speed anyway so if the budget allows for it.....

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.