In NEED of HELP PLEASE

RMB

Mar 17, 2015
St. Pauls, NC
My pool water is clear, I can see the bottom...but it seems to have a stinky kinda smell to the water and even can smell it on my hands (I haven't been in the pool yet). TC=8, FC=10, pH=7.8, TA=120, CYA=100 Temp=72. Plz tell me what I need to do?

My pool water is clear, I can see the bottom...but it seems to have a stinky kinda smell to the water and even can smell it on my hands (I haven't been in the pool yet). TC=8, FC=10, pH=7.8, TA=120, CYA=100 Temp=72. Plz tell me what I need to do?

That was me with the smelly water and its been coming and going. I notice your FC number is much higher than your TC - you using test strips? Describe the smell. Mine is sort of like fishy chlorine. Smells a lot like dichlor actually. I noticed running my spa in spa mode made it a bit better since it only uses the suction from the spa in that mode, otherwise its all pool.

is it a metallic smell? fishy or rotting smell? chlorine smell? definitely need more info on the nature of it. also, make sure all your filters are clean, skimmer and pump baskets, vac leaf catcher if you have one. anything rotting in there might cause a smell.

yes using test strips. and yeah it kinda smells like fishy chlorine

- - - Updated - - -

I opened my pool a month ago and it has had a odor pretty much the whole time

- - - Updated - - -

everything was cleaned and put up for the winter, and I just hooked it all back up. the water stayed in the pool during the winter, but I winterized it. smells more like a fish pond odor

- - - Updated - - -

I was tempted to let all of the water out and start over cause it didn't smell that way last year.

well, im still kinda guessing at what the smell was coming from as it comes and goes. right when i think i've figured it out, it comes back. i notice my tap water kinda has the same scent and i think the addition of chlorine just increases it - but then, like i said, made sure every filter was clean and ran water through my spa, and it seemed to dissipate to quite a low level. didnt smell anything at all this morning, but last week was gross, could smell it in the house. i think im hypersensitve to the smell now though, so that doesnt help! no one really had a solution. you really should get a real test kit, i was using strips, still do on occasion but certain strip readings are just downright inaccurate to a scary degree. its so fast to test just chlorine and ph, and the rest of the tests you don't do every day.

before you drain, just test the water with a reliable kit. it will give you a far better picture of what is happening in your water and what you need to do to fix it. we don't winterize in SoCal so i really don't know whats involved other than a lot of people here on this site opening to all sorts of interesting problems.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
chlorine will fix your pool. Run your chlorine up to maybe 20 ppm or so and hold it there for a day or so. The smell should go away.

I know you didn't ask but your CYA is too high to manage your pool properly. I would suggest a 50% drain to get you CYA down to 50 ppm. Of course, that assumes the test strips are correct and that is a really big assumption.

As you read through the forum, you will find we don't advocate the use of pool store testing or test strips. You should consider getting your own GOOD kit and taking charge of your pool./

again, get a test kit and test it before you drain. ESPECIALLY free and combined chlorine with the FAS-DPD test. that will tell you if something organic is eating your chlorine and possibly causing an odor. @duraleigh, the pool should be at 80CYA as he has a SWG so its not really THAT bad, however, the shock level of chlorine is pretty high to deal with a SLAM at 100...IF its truly 100 and not more.

I know its kinda crazy - but those strips are really pretty bad - it never gets my ph right. think about it, how can your free chlorine be MORE than your total chlorine? if your CYA reading is wrong, then you could be THINKING you're at SLAM level and you really won't be so you'll just be dumping money and time for no good reason.

Welcome to TFP.

You are not maintaining enough chlorine for your high CYA, based on the Chlorine CYA Chart, you need to be aiming for 12+ to keep algae from growing. Good that you are going to do a partial drain to reduce CYA.

Here are two introductory articles in Pool School.
TFPC for Beginners
ABC's of Pool Water Chemistry

This lists the Recommended Levels for your pool.
Here are the Recommended Pool Chemicals to maintain your pool.
And use PoolMath to determine how much to add to reach the desired goal.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.