Replacing a Pool Pump or Motor Advice

jodytp

May 5, 2015
kilgore, tx
I have a 25,000 gallon outdoor inground pool that has a Magnetek EPlus 1.5 horsepower pool pump. I am told that the motor is out on the pump. Am I better off replacing the entire pool pump and not just the motor as I have added a fountain in the pool and would like more water flow through the fountain?

And any recommendations on what to replace the existing pool pump with, i.e. brand and model number and would a 3 horsepower pump be sufficient for my pool?

Thanks

I would suggest just the motor, and probably go with a 2 speed motor, assuming this pump was working ok for you otherwise. In general it is my experience that most pump bodies will last through about 3 motors before needing to be replaced.

You'll likely have to stay with a 1.5 HP motor of you replace just the motor. If you choose to replace the entire pump, I'd agree with Isacc-1 that a 2 speed motor may suite your needs better.

Careful going too large on the pump though, a 3HP may exceed the sizing of your plumbing. A pic of the pump/plumbing would help.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.