New AGP with Aqua Smarte mineral system

Our 27' AGP just hit its fill mark and the electrician will be out tomorrow to run the line for the pump. We have the Aqua Smarte Plus docking station mineral system. Maybe I am missing something on the PoolMath calculator but I don't see a way to use the calculator with this system to keep the FC between .5 and 1.0 PPM as the Aqua Smarte system recommends

That is because we don't recommend mineral systems.

First, they add "minerals" that we call metals to the water that you really don't want. Copper is the most common and it can end up staining your pool or coloring your blonde friends hair green.

Second, most are way too expensive.

Third, it's just easier to test and only add to the water what it needs, when it needs it. Check out How to Chlorinate Your Pool

Welcome to TFP

Thank you for the information. Once the free packs are gone can I just not insert the packs and leave the system as is and follow the guidelines on here?
You could, but each of those free packs is adding metals to your water that may cause problems later. To follow the pool care methods taught here you need to arm yourself with the knowledge and tools necessary to care for your pool.

The knowledge is condensed in the Pool School link at the top of every page. It is a great community here, but we do ask that you read and try to understand the information being taught. Questions are always welcome and folks will try to direct you and teach you the methods.

The tools are not limited to the brushes, vacuum hoses and other stuff you use around the pool, but include the most important item - one of the recommended test kits. You can buy a kit at a pool store, but again the pool store kits generally won't cut it. To effectively practice the TFPC methods, the FAS/DPD chlorine test is essential. All these kits contain that test while very few other kits do. Think of it this way, do you see a doctor blindly prescribing drugs without seeing the patient or having tests run? Here at TFP we are going to ask for photos so we can see the condition of the water and are going to ask for a full set of test results.

Since you're new at this, I know it may be difficult to listen to a complete stranger on the internet. Do a few searches on this forum and you'll find many that have used the mineral systems and have since left them behind.

http://www.troublefreepool.com/thre...w-pool-Should-I-use-the-aqua-smarte-system-or

I found TFP while my pool was being built, I follow the recommended guidelines and have never had problems maintaining the pool. I spend very little time maintaining the pool and maybe $100 a year in chemicals, majority on muriatic acid.

My pool has a pool frog system installed. I spoke with the previous owners about what they were spending monthly on pool maintenance. Yeah, no. For a system that was supposed to make pool care easy and "cheaper", they sure did spend a lot of time and money on maintaining it. I'm talking over a hundred bucks a visit to the pool store every month. And she said with paying someone to open at the beginning of the season and then closing she was adding another 3-400 to that bill. So she was talking about 6-700 a pool season to open/run/close. No thank you! I closed it last year after reading up on stuff. Opened to a pretty dang clear pool and have added 3 bottles if bleach to do an overnight test. They cost me 9 bucks at SAMs Club. Think I'll stick with this method!

Welcome Cincybuck. You will not regret ditching the mineral system and going with TFPC. The TF100 is an amazing kit and super simple to use. The speed stir is pretty awesome too.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
i would avoid going to a pool school put on by a pool store. 95% of the problems new people post on here are due to the information given to them by the pool store. your better bet is to read the pool school articles here and ask questions.

I think I found a print out online of the Watson's Pool School notes....avoid!

summary: liquid chlorine not recommended since its not stabilized, tricholor and pucks are a must, pumps must run 24 hrs a day. the recommended way to clean a green pool...add yellow out, chlorine pucks, something called "pool first aid" and copper algaecide.

basically they are everything that TFP advises against.

hmm...I also see they offer discounts on these chemicals at the seminar that they are going to tell you you need.

sounds like one of those timeshare scams, haha

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.