Pavers?

Eddd

May 5, 2015
Frisco, TX
One more question from a newbie...

We are adding about 700 sq.ft. of decking around the pool. Concrete is obviously an option, but we are also considering an upgrade to pavers. Small Pavers won't be slippery, but will they be too rough on the feet? And will I have issues with Salt on pavers? Worth the $2500 upgrade?

that's it for now... thanks again!!!

Wow, lots of questions. Part of my deck is stamped concrete (about 2/3) and part is pavers (1/3). No one has ever complained about the pavers. As they are really colored concrete I can't imagine you will have problems with a salt system.

I might suggest as you have multiple questions about your build where issues overlap you may want to have one of the moderators merge all three of your threads together. Or not if it works better for you this way.

I have a stamped coping and paver decking. The pavers have held up far better than the stamped concrete, the coloring in the stamped concrete has faded.

The pavers have settled along with the dirt around the pool, so over the past 8 years, I've add to pull a few sections up, add more crusher run and replace the pavers. I've had sand between the pavers since it's been built and just about yearly ( though I've skipped a few), I'll hose out the crudded up sand and replace it. I've been thinking about the sand that hardens after getting wet, but have not committed to that yet.

Concrete may seem like an easier option to maintain, but as much settling as I've had, I fear that I'd have cracks in it, if it were not reinforced well enough.

As far as heat retention/transfer, both the concrete coping and pavers get very hot in the mid-day summer sun, can't say any one is better than the other.

The pavers I got from my PB are very smooth... smoother than raw concrete and smoother than some acrylic coated concrete I've felt. But I've also felt pavers that are ridiculously rough. So many options.

I was originally going to go concrete due to potential paver maintenance issues but I was assured by numerous issue to not worry. I wanted to do stamped concrete but not a lot of people around here so that meant just acrylic coated concrete, which is kind of bland compared to pavers. So we went with pavers. Very happy so far, but it's only been a month! My paver cost was cost neutral to concrete+acrylic with my PB, at least as far as the deck itself. It ended up costing a little more because of the need to bring in concrete strictly to do screen room footers.

Wow, lots of questions. Part of my deck is stamped concrete (about 2/3) and part is pavers (1/3). No one has ever complained about the pavers. As they are really colored concrete I can't imagine you will have problems with a salt system.

I might suggest as you have multiple questions about your build where issues overlap you may want to have one of the moderators merge all three of your threads together. Or not if it works better for you this way.

I thought about making one long post, but I always hate reading those, so I separated :)
Plus this way folks could click into and respond to just what they had thoughts on.

Thanks!

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks crabboy -- I am quite certain the concrete will crack, at least hairline. I think I am leaning toward pavers. Plus easier to repair if needed!

I used Belgard pavers for the coping and the pool deck.
http://www.belgard.com/products/pavers/dublin_cobble

I'm very pleased.

My pavers never get hot....maybe warm but not uncomfortable to walk on.

The pavers are smooth but not slippery..

Salt has had no affect on the pavers.

Settling is THE BIG ISSUE with pavers. When the pool was built, I had the PB put a 5 foot wide skirt around the pool where I was going to install the pavers. This ensured that pavers would either have a base of concrete or virgin ground.

Also, make sure the installer puts heavy duty (not the stuff from Costco) landscape fabric down on the ground before any base material. The landscape fabric provides supports and helps to further reduce the chance of settling.

Pavers.jpg
IMG_0663.jpg

I have pavers all around my salt pool. Very smooth, and no salt issues. The only issue I have is with settling, but that is easily corrected. My pool builder laid a base of crushed concrete under the pavers and that has stood up very well.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.