Sand filter worth it for Intex pool?

Re: Best sand filter for $ - 16' Intex ultra

I don't take my pool down, but with my experience I have been much happier with my sand filter. It takes a bit to get used to and know when to backwash, but better than buying cartrige filters and changing them out every couple of weeks.

Yes!!
My first year I had a couple paper filters, and would spray them out but it was like everyday!
Went to sand filter and pump and Hayward wall skimmer and hard plumb....oh and Swg!

Never would do it different!

Oh and I have to change sit. Now have 18x52 intex

What Hayward pump and filter did you use?

Hayward Power-Flo LX 1.0 HP pump
Hayward Pro Series S166T Sand Filter

That's my pump and filter info. Not sure if this filter is still available but I wouldn't recommend it only because it's the only one Hayward makes that doesn't have an easily replaceable spider gasket for the multiport. It was a pain to replace it. I'd probably buy a bigger filter if I had it to do over. Might as well go bigger. Means more time between backwashes.

I can't say enough good things about the pump though. It's been running 24/7 for 2 years now. lol The energizer bunny pump...

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thanks,
I think I will get that pump in a combo unit that comes with the filter, did some reseach last night on the net and found a few that I like and they come with the Power-Flo 1hp pump

I bought some of my stuff at Leslies before I started to search online for pricing... Cheaper online but you have to take the time to really look. Leslies has always been good to me when I go in there for questions and stuff, So I try to purchase items there when I can ...

I also have the Intex 22' x 52" Ultra Frame Swimming Pool using the two Intex 2500 GPH cartridge filters and the Krystal Clear salt system. While it was better then the year before with
just one filter and no salt system, I still don't think it was quite up to par. I believe these Intex pump/filters are not designed for such a large volume of water (10,000+ gallons). Don't get
me wrong, I loved the salt water system vs chlorine. I just don't think the pumps had enough "umph" to do the trick. My water was clean, but not crystal clear.

I recently bought a used Hayward SP1580X15 PowerFlo LX Aboveground Pool Pump, 1.5HP 115V and filter for $75. I thought this was a good deal as it was only 1 season old.
I plan on using it this year replacing the Intex ones. Also taking into consideration the model of the Krystal Clear salt water system I have. Mine has the built in pump.
610Kn13QEzL._SL1200_.jpg

So I had planned on using them both if I can. I am not sure on where my model salt water system can run "inline" with the Hayward pump and filter though. If not, then I plan
on just cutting two holes on the opposite side and plumbing it there. This way salt water system on one side and Hayward pump and sand filter on the other.
I am still not firm on what route I am taking yet. But I don't think using two pumps inline would work well for the salt water system.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.