solar panel heater / distance question

Feb 25, 2014
Central Jersey
Hey all, without getting too technical I was hoping to get some basic feedback on my solar panel heaters for my pool. I read through a lot of "hydraulics 101" sticky and will probably have to read a few more times for it to make sense to me.

Anyhow, I am in very early stages of "pool anything" at this point but need to come up with a plan in preparation of pool opening at end of this month. I have a 21 round AG with a cartridge filter and I purchased two solar panels (2'x20' each) last summer. I had them laid out on the ground over a retaining wall about 3 feet high near the pool and they worked great for about half the summer, around August the path of the sun ends up on the other side of my neighbors fence instead of directly over my yard and therefore shading my panels instead of heating them. So ideally these panels need to go up on my roof because it gets sun from dawn till dusk so long as its sunny out.

ok so initially I thought I would run hoses to and from the panels on the roof and we are talking about 100 feet each way. My house is only one level so its not much of a climb but after reading the Hydraulics 101 I noticed no mention of using hose so I think its safe to assume that its not a practical means of running water for this purpose so pipes are the way to go, correct?

Ok now my other thought was my pump and is it strong enough to push all through roughly 200 + feet of pipes and hoses. Its a no name pump purchased with a pool package at my local "At Home Recreation" store. I don't have the actual specs for it at the moment but I recall the pump says its a 1.5 HP. Last summer I noticed a considerable loss of pressure on the return whenever I had the heaters on versus off. It was still strong enough to rotate the water, eventually, if no one was in the pool but a no where near as strong as when the heaters were off. So if return pressure was so weak with roughly 20 feet of hose will a 1.5hp pump be enough to push this water all the way through or was my set up wrong?
Set up was basically one hose coming from filter and into a PVC splitter with a valve and then connected to two more hoses. one went towards the the heaters and the other went to the return jet. Actually both the heaters return hose and the regular return hose were connected via PVC yet again about 4ft prior to the hose that connects to the return jet. and the heater return line had a one way valve before joining the other return line so as to keep water from going to the heaters when I wasn't using the heaters but I think it was defective as when the heaters were shut off I could still see leaks coming from the panels. Only time the leaks would stop is when pump was off.

If I have to invest in a name brand pump I will bite the bullet and do so because being in Central Jersey these summers are hit or miss but I'm wondering if my pump is sufficient enough and maybe with some guidance I can put something together that will actually work because it seems like last years set up was not quite right. Thanks in advance for any feedback/suggestions on how to get this project going properly.

Please add your location (City, State or City, Country) to your profile and pool details to your signature as described HERE as it will help us help you.

Moving the water long distances, you will want to use a larger pipe, preferably at least 2" hard PVC. Hard to say if the pump you have will have enough power to raise the water to your roof or not without more details.

ok this is the pump filter that I have.
http://www.athomerecreation.net/sl-150-black-diamond-cf-w15-hp-13605

The following is the specs from the website.

This 150 Sq Ft Black Diamond Cartridge Filter with 1.5 Hp pump and motor comes with a high capacity reinforced cartridge designed for efficiency and dependability. 1.5 threaded ports
Hose fitting
1- 3 Molded pressure hose with union ends
2- 6 Connection hoses
Easy twist off lid
2- isolation valves
Built-in check valve
Clamps
Drain Plug
Base

ok, I'll pay my local pool store a visit and see if they can provide some detailed specs on this pump. I'm not too confident in their honesty as I've caught them trying to sell me a bunch of **** I don't need but I do know that it does a very good job when there aren't "extras" attached to it.

But say I did want to purchase a new pump. Any recommendations on what brand / type in order to accomplish setting my heaters on roof through roughly 200 feet of pipe? Thanks.

That is significantly weaker than my 1HP pump that I use for my solar array; although it might work. You only need about 8-10GPM to feed your 80 sqft of solar.

I think I would just plumb it up and see if it works. You may not need or want all the flow going to the solar anyway.
If it does not fill the solar with adequate floe, then you will need to get a more powerful pump.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Should all pipes be same size or should I go with a slightly smaller width on the return side? would 1-1/2" do? Or should I go bigger. Because if this doesn't work with my current pump I see a few different Haywards on Amazon that I can pick up in the $200 range. I just dont want to lay pipe and then if I have to change the pump find out I need to start from scratch again.

Use 2" pipe everywhere that you are adding/changing pipe. No problem though if there is smaller pipe where you are not doing any plumbing. For that long run you want larger pipe.

If the current pump does not work, then you would just have to change the pump connections, hardly starting from scratch.

2" pipe is doable for the budget. What exactly do you mean by "No problem though if there is smaller pipe where you are not doing any plumbing"? I guess I'm confused as to what you mean by "plumbing"? Isnt the act of setting all this up "plumbing"? Thanks.

I mean if you have 1.5" pipes between the pool and pump or pump to filter, etc it is still fine and recommended to use the 2" wherever you make changes. But, not required to redo anything that is smaller.

ok now I understand. Currently I mainly have pool hoses. The only pipes i currently have are actually wye's for splitting flow to heater and then back into main return.

Alright I think I have a game plan now. Thanks for all the feedback. Much appreciated.

Ok so I haven't ran pipe up to my roof just yet for the heaters. I wanted to top off my pool and get it running asap before I spent time on the heaters. In the meantime I did replace my hoses with pipe only I quickly discovered plumbing isn't as simple as I thought. I finally turned on the pool last night only to discover leaks everywhere.

First thing I noticed as soon as I removed my aquadoor from my skimmer plate is that my skimmer is cracked. It’s a hairline crack, on the bottom of the bucket, barely noticeable but there is slow drip coming from it. Should I be concerned with this? I mean I know it has to be replaced but after just topping off the pool I would rather not lower the water again to replace the skimmer if I can get away with waiting till next spring.

Next is my **** plumbing job. It seems I have leaks coming out of both ends of every union. Any tips on how to get the leaks to stop or should I just let them be? It’s not gushing out, they are slow drips and don't know what affect if any this has on my system. Personally I rather not see anything dripping but if it’s not a big deal I guess I can live with it.

I tried uploading pics but it seems I am out of space on this site and cant figure out how to delete pics out of the upload manager.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.