New to ALL this...

May 4, 2015
Avon, IN
Just a couple quick questions here....I'm waiting on my testing kit... (Taylor K-2006). In the meantime, I have chlorine tabs in my chlorinator - is this a NO-NO? My pool is currently cloudy and has been since opening. I can at least SEE the bottom now (after lots of $$$ spent at the pool store). I am sure I'm going to have to SLAM the pool (which makes me nervous). I've read and read and read on this site and THINK I'm ready for this.... I'm ready to try anything that will clear my pool up.

On my TEST STRIPS I have now (I know they aren't accurate - waiting on my kit), my numbers are:

FC 5
pH 7.2 (this one is questionable....)
CYA 0

I forget the others - I know this isn't complete and may not be helpful to anyone at all - I'm just trying to figure out if there is anything I can really do while waiting on my test kit... and wondering about the chlorine pucks.

Any help is appreciated...I'll post specific numbers when I get my kit - delivery is estimated Friday - Tuesday sometime. Long time to wait....

Thanks!

Hi,
Welcome to TFP.

1st, the thing we dont like about chlorine pucks, is using them as the primary source for chlorine. They add chlorine which is a good thing, but they also add either Stabilizer at the same time. If used for too long, the build up of CYA over time will become problematic.

Using pucks on an occasional basis may be ok. Lots of us do it. They key is knowing when you can and when you cant.
And you can learn that right here.

As for your SLAM. Dont be nervous. It really is not difficult to do. You will want to do the following.
Test the water
Add CYA if necessary, to get it up to about 30. If CYA is above 80, then drain half the water to get the CYA down.
Next, adjust your Ph to 7.2.
Next add enough liquid chlorine to get you to SLAM level. the SLAM FC will be based upon your CYA level.
MAINTAIN the slam chlorine level. The more often you can keep the FC at SLAM, the quicker it will go.
Thats really all there is to it.

I have some questions if you dont mind.

Do you know how to properly add CYA?
Do you know how to use Pool Math?
Have you found the FC/CYA chart?
Have you found the proper SLAM Instructions?

If not, pipe up, and I bet money Azgirl can fix you up with links to all of them!
:) :) :)

Yes! I've read about ALL that on here...you've all taught me well so far! Just waiting on the kit and anxious to get started...I even have 10 gallons of bleach, some baking soda, and Borax on hand too! Only thing I don't have is the CYA - which I'm assuming I get at the pool store and it's labeled clarifier? That would be the only question I have thus far that hasn't already been answered...

THANK YOU!

I have some questions if you dont mind.

Do you know how to properly add CYA?
Do you know how to use Pool Math?
Have you found the FC/CYA chart?
Have you found the proper SLAM Instructions?

If not, pipe up, and I bet money Azgirl can fix you up with links to all of them!
:) :) :)

Yes I can! Looks like she has them.

- - - Updated - - -

Yes! I've read about ALL that on here...you've all taught me well so far! Just waiting on the kit and anxious to get started...I even have 10 gallons of bleach, some baking soda, and Borax on hand too! Only thing I don't have is the CYA - which I'm assuming I get at the pool store and it's labeled clarifier? That would be the only question I have thus far that hasn't already been answered...

THANK YOU!

You can either get stabilizer at the pool store or you can get it at Walmart. They have HTH brand for family cheap.

CYA is known as STABILIZER or Stabilizer and Conditioner.

We dont recommend using clarifyer. If your pool is maintained properly, you wont need it. On top of that, some of the clairfiers on the market can horribly clog a filter if the conditions are right.

THANK YOU!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.