Issue on Opening

Mar 28, 2007
Opened my IG pool April 25th. Noticed that DE was pouring into pool. Took apart filter and had the grids replaced and checked the manifold which came out OK. The water has a green hue to it but is clear. Normally pool is blue. Put the filter back in yesterday and am trying to get the DE out of the water by vacuuming and brushing. Still has the green hue to it. I did run the pool in recirculate to make sure I did not get algae. Any ideas what I can do to get the green out. I am having my daughter take the water to get tested and I did add Les Iron last night just in case it was metals. I was thinking that it could be DE suspended in the water giving the hue off. Anyone have any ideas???

Do you have your own test kit? Pool store testing is highly unreliable and we recommend getting your own quality test kit. Look in the Pool School for our list of recommended test kits.

Welcome to TFP!

Please update your signature and location as follows, What we need to know to answer your questions

Plenty of algae can grow in that water temperature. Here is a Test Kit Comparison. I personally recommend the TF100 test kit from tftestkits.net.

The most important thing you need to do is maintain the chlorine level in the pool. The FC should never drop below the minimum level for your CYA based on this chart, Chlorine CYA Chart. If FC drops below the min then there is a good chance that algae will grow. Add bleach/chlorine according to PoolMath based on your CYA level, FC level and pool volume (gallons).

If you have algae then you will need to SLAM Your Pool according to this process.

For now, make sure there is chlorine in the pool, order a test kit and read the following introductory Pool School articles.
TFPC for Beginners
ABC's of Pool Water Chemistry
Recommended Levels
Recommended Pool Chemicals

By the way, everything in blue is a clickable link to more detailed info.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.