Fence question

Jul 28, 2014
Manhawkin/ NJ
Hi guys new to the forum, I have a question about my fence. My neighbor behind me has a stockade fence that is climbable and I also have a stockade fence that backs up to theres. My town requires 4 feet between my fence and there's, which is understandable being that a kid in the neighbors yard could climb there fence and jump over mine. I asked the inspector if I could install a wedge on the middle rail of my neighbors fence making it no longer climbable. The inspector said that would work, which I'm very pleased to hear. I am trying to find such a thing but can't. I found a site that I believe is from Australia that has what's caled an aris rail. Does this 45 degree wedge have some type of name or has any one ever had any experience with this situation? thanks

http://store.demak.com.au/wedge-restraint-tilt-batten-pool-safety-rail-for-paling-fence/

Here is a link to what I am looking to do

Hi Kev, Welcome.

Interesting, I don't see how this would make a fence unclimbable. Maybe a 5 year old wouldn't be able to get over but any pre-teen or above would certainly be able to get over that with ease. That wooden wedge only would make it harder to stand on the fence, but if you can get a grip on the top of the fencing and pull yourself up you don't need much traction to get over. Not to mention that you could still stick your shoe between the post and the wooden wedge and get traction enough to get over. In my youth I climbed the flat edge of 6' privacy fences and there was nothing to have footing on on that side.

On a side note: Typically this is why you want the flat side out on any type of privacy fence. Yes the inside with the bars looks less "clean" from your view but the fence is harder to climb from the outside and deters that behavior, although it doesn't stop it!

Got two big dogs already. I agree the fence would still be climbable. But a four foot chain link fence is probably the easiest fence out there to climb and those are allowed around pools. I do have the good side of my fence facing out but so do my neighbors, with only about less then one foot between fences. I really hopen my neighbors are ok with it or even just letting me take there fences down as mine is brand new and there's is pretty old.

With access to the right equipment you could make those yourself. The main function is too keep the young ones who think they can swim (but can't) from drowning in your pool. The pre-teen to teen group tend to scale any fence or gate they see fit, if it's in their way of what they want to do.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.