Trouble Reading PH Color

Jan 7, 2013
Friendswood, TX
So I have been having trouble reading the ph color for a while. I can tell if it is in the orange range or the pick range but when it's the 7.5-7.7 it's hard for me to tell.

Is there a way to determine PH like the chlorine test where you look for it to go clear?

If not, what is a good recommended ph handheld tester? I don't mind spending the money to make sure I don't have a ph issue.

It's a fairly frequent question. I've been considering a MyronL PT2. If you look on Taylor's (Taylor Technologies) website. They sell it for about $100. I know this brand well, and have heard good things about these from others in my industry. As a rule, inexpensive pH meters are problematic. Experience has taught me this as well.

You can try using 4 drops or even 6. It does not change the color of the sample, just the saturation of the color. I have a much easier time using 4 drops. You can also take a piece of thin white cardstock (business card can work), and cut a slot in the side of it so you can compare the sample to the scale one at a time. That makes it easier than looking at the sample and all 5 color scales at the same time.

Patrick, about the PT2, is it impaired in the same way as the strips/drops in that it doesn't work well with high FC counts?

No, it wouldn't be. One thing though, is that they need care and attention to perform consistently. So you have to keep calibaration solutions on hand. No big deal, but it is critical. They also have to be stored with the tip where it never dries out. These like others will come with a storage cap to ensure that they stay wet. Stored for the off season, you'd want to get it out frequently (every couple of weeks at most) to make certain it doesn't get dry. The sensors on these can be replaced for about half the price of the whole unit however. I don't know about the Lamotte ones, but if I saw a picture, I might be able to tell you who makes it.

So then shoot for slightly less than 7.5. ;)

You can also get the acid / base demand reagents that let you change the color. I found this helpful to know what colors to look for.

- - - Updated - - -

EDIT: Really you will likely never need the base demand. I use the acid demand almost every time I test to see how many drops it takes to get to 7.5 or 7.2

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
You can sort of figure that out using the table and PoolMath. Although I am not sure why it matters.

Just count drops to get to desired pH and use the table to tell you how much acid to add. I wrote down the amount of acid per drop for me ... it is around 1/4 gallon.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.