New SW Austin Pool Build

Feb 26, 2015
Austin
My pool is on day 6 of the dig. I've been too busy to put something together, I'll try to play catch-up.

I initially got bids from 5 PBs in early March: Texas Pools and Patios, OceanQuest, New Wave, Master Pools and Innovative. Danielle from Texas Pools was first, she was really laid back and easy to work with, but also extremely professional.

Next was Dan from Innovative pools. He immediately looked at my big oak tree and told me there was no way the CoA would allow a pool in my backyard. I told him that was strange, since when he had came out 4 years earlier, he thought the tree was no problem to work around, sketched a quick design and gave me an estimate. He said maybe I was confused and it was some other guy. I remember him distinctly, because he was the only PB that never followed up with a call back the last time I did this. He mumbled that maybe the tree rules were different back then (they weren't) and he must have been busy. I had only called him this time around because he did a friends pool for a fairly low price that looked ok. I believe in giving people 2nd chances but I was glad to get him out of my yard.

Next was Mark from New Wave pools. Decent guy, professional. Then we had OceanQuest. Two guys came out and I really liked both of them. We talked about designs for an hour and I thought I would probably use them. They convinced me that putting a pool with a deep end/diving board in my back yard was nearly impossible and sold me on a sport pool. The last guy was from Master pool. I had to follow up after he came out because I think he probably considered a pool my size not worth their time. To his credit, he apologized, said they had been very busy and agreed to mail me some designs, even though he said it was their policy to have me drive up for that.

That "you absolutely must visit our office no matter how far away it is in order to view our top secret designs we made for you" policy is infuriating. I flat out told every single PB that if they tried to force me to do that, they could DIAF. They all eventually capitulated, though OceanQuest would only show me their designs by driving to my house and letting me view it on their laptop. Ridiculous. OcenQuest probably would have been a very close 2nd choice, but since I couldn't remember exactly what all the designs looked like, they lost serious points.

After viewing all the design proposals, Danielle from Texas Pools was the only one who tried to design a deep end/diving board pool. Her design was something I had never considered, but it works. She was also at least 15% less than all the other PBs, so I went with her. I signed a contract on 4/3/15 and she applied for a CoA permit a few days later. (Don't get me wrong, Mark at New Wave and Patrick/OceanQuest guys hustled hard to get my business, but I felt like I was paying a premium for a PB name. Incidentally, New Wave was the next cheapest quote).

My yard has a bunch of complications, including a large oak tree that can't be built anywhere close to. I had another tree, an ugly elm that I paid to cut down right after I signed the contract, since it was in the way. Because we have to stay so far away from the oak, they had to cut 2 feet off of my patio to make room. My backyard backs up to the greenbelt, so you have to stay 10 feet away from the back fence. My impervious coverage was maxed out, another reason the patio deck was chopped. I also had to pay to have my patio roof torn down (I have to get a new one anyway, it was in bad shape). I had to get my neighbors permission for them to run a Bobcat on part of his yard so they could get in to my backyard. They also had to take down two sections of his fence. He wasn't happy about signing and made me add a codicil saying I would pay for all yard repairs. As you'll see from the pics, that will cost me. Danielle told me this was easily top 1 or 2 hardest pool constructions they've ever had.

Digging started last Tuesday and went smooth until they hit limestone bedrock at 3 feet. Now every day has been 90% jackhammering from 8am to 7pm. I am so ready for this to be done.

Anyway, hope you like the thread and pics. Feel free to give me feedback on my equipment, there may be better/cheaper alternatives.

See the bobcat tracks down the left side? They have completely destroyed me and my neighbors side yards/my front yard (colorado river rock over weed barrier). I get to pay to fix all that.

Bobcat Digging Video

Yard Walkthrough Video

Congrats, it's going to be beautiful!
How deep is your deep end? Have you considered centering the diving board with the deep end? From a purely visual perspective, I feel like I want to push it to the centerline.

Deep end is in my sig (8.5'). Yes, the diving board will be centered. They aren't even installing it, so they weren't very careful where they put it in the design.

We are now at 7 feet. Looks like they only need to go about 2 1/2 more feet, but I'm not sure how thick the rebar/gunnite is. A foot?

And I say "only 2 1/2 more feet" like its a days work. More like 3.

And here's a better look at the utter devastation to my side yard.

Most of us can relate to how frustrating the process can be. I'm just south of you, between San Antonio and New Braunfels. Fortunately for me (in some ways), I'm in the "clay" zone. Good for digging, horrible for settlement and stability. Just can't win sometimes. It was a challenge keeping my 7 dogs calm and happy during the construction. Good luck!

Seen a lot of Centex builds come on here in the past, and most are like this, and worse. We hit caliche here about 5-6' down. Of course right in the deep end. Used to be a fish pond just outside the fence. It was 8' deep.....no rock. I understand the can't win for sure.

Congrats on getting started! Can I admit I am wee bit jealous because your pool is well under way? My builder is having internal issues and hasn't started our pool build yet. It doesn't help that my yard is complicated but I am displeased so far. Hopefully after the rain lets up I'll have a hole in the ground similar to yours. How is your pool doing with the recent rains? I am sure this will derail all the pool builds in Austin right now.

On a side note I was taking my daughter to a birthday party and my wife says "Hey look at that house they are getting a pool". She saw the pool builder sign and the fence torn down with a bob cat in the front yard. Turns out I am probably 99.999% sure it is your house. I told her "Hey I saw that house on the pool forum!". My daughter's friend lives on the same street you do. Anyway congrats on getting started!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Congrats on getting started! Can I admit I am wee bit jealous because your pool is well under way? My builder is having internal issues and hasn't started our pool build yet. It doesn't help that my yard is complicated but I am displeased so far. Hopefully after the rain lets up I'll have a hole in the ground similar to yours. How is your pool doing with the recent rains? I am sure this will derail all the pool builds in Austin right now.

On a side note I was taking my daughter to a birthday party and my wife says "Hey look at that house they are getting a pool". She saw the pool builder sign and the fence torn down with a bob cat in the front yard. Turns out I am probably 99.999% sure it is your house. I told her "Hey I saw that house on the pool forum!". My daughter's friend lives on the same street you do. Anyway congrats on getting started!
That's funny. My next door neighbor has a 5 year old and they throw "kid play parent drink" parties all the time....were you next door?

Any way, the dig is finally done. They hit 9 1/2 feet and started smoothing things out. They came this morning to pick up the last couple of rock loads, then start the rebar. The bobcat warmed up for about 5 minutes before it started pouring down rain, so that was the end of work today. With nothing done.

I came out at 5pm and saw the hole was 1/4 filled, so I threw their pump in and let it flood the greenbelt. Hopefully it helps speed up work tomorrow.

No more digging.

IMG_20150509_132136.jpg

I went to school in Austin and wanted to stay. Right now? I'm glad I'm not building a pool there! But I think you've got the worst behind you, especially if the weather will give you a break.

Your pool design is so sleek and beautiful. But.... my favorite part of your build is the dogs!!! OMG! The expressions on their faces say it all. Those guys are so in tune with what's going on and with the photographer. Great dogs! Will they be swimming??? All the best! Suz.

More rain. My guy showed up today looking mad, evidently they want him to dig close to a foot off the slope. He jackhammered for 2 hours, then the rain hit and he left. And we've got rain in the forecast for the next week. So maybe July.

More rain. My guy showed up today looking mad, evidently they want him to dig close to a foot off the slope. He jackhammered for 2 hours, then the rain hit and he left. And we've got rain in the forecast for the next week. So maybe July.

I'm in the Dallas area and hear you about the rain. We are waiting and waiting to start the dig process. Your pool is looking great! Love the design!

Ok, I'm ready for more pictures of the dogs - I mean of your pool build! LOL! I do love your dog pictures. I was just looking at them again.... I don't know the breeds you have, but the one with the turquoise collar - he/she looks like he's connecting with the photographer - in almost each photo. Kind of like, "You may think I'm a dog, but I'm really a human in a fur coat, and I know just what you're thinking." Or maybe she simply loves posing for pictures!!

Back to business..... has the "happy" jackhammer guy come back, or is the rain too constant? I've noticed in our Houston area, the subs seem to be snatching small windows of sun to get a little bit done at a time. The plumbers worked in two separate shifts of days (a couple of hours at a time) and the same with the electricians. I think they've given up on having good weather long enough to do a job in one visit. One good thing about the huge Houston area - they could watch the radar, go where it's sunny for a few hours and then follow the sun to another location. That would be fun scheduling, right?!

I hope things pick up for you soon. Or should I say, I hope you start getting some sunshine!! Good luck! Suz.

The bobcat has been picked up, so all the major digging is really, actually, totally, finally done. We are now at the one month point, from when they dropped off the bobcat to pickup. I thought 45 days was a wild estimate at the beginning, but 45 days sounds awesome right now.

They shored up the shallow end with gravel bags, fixed the forms and covered the deep end/slope with gravel. The have put in a whopping 6 hours so far this week, showing up at 7am, making a lot of noise, then leaving right after there's no chance of me going back to sleep. If they had just worked straight thru yesterday, they could have started the rebar already. Instead I'm having to fantasize about them starting rebar tomorrow....but in reality, they'll probably show up to make some minor additions and leave before noon again. This is getting very frustrating, since we've barely had a drop of rain in 3 days.

IMG_20150519_170639.jpg

IMG_20150519_170606.jpg

It's good to see you back on your thread, my fellow cedar-hating friend!!!! Wow, look at all that rock. It's really amazing. Right, they beat the 45 day timeline well ahead of schedule.

It really is frustrating when the sun shines and not much is going on. My PB was talking to me today about how he's almost lost his mind to all the rain. He said it's been like a jab to his heart. He told me the scheduler at our big Houston area gunite company had to reschedule 138 pools to next week. (the economy must be doing better than we thought!) I guess when the sun is out, all these PB's are scrambling to do a little bit at a lot of places because of how far behind they are. Our PB's office assistant told me yesterday that one customer has been calling almost daily to scream at her because of the weather - like anyone can do something about it. I felt so bad for the assistant. Hang in there! They will be back again to wake you up with a lot of noise!

It's good to see your dog again, too! Suz.

It's good to see you back on your thread, my fellow cedar-hating friend!!!! Wow, look at all that rock. It's really amazing. Right, they beat the 45 day timeline well ahead of schedule.

It really is frustrating when the sun shines and not much is going on. My PB was talking to me today about how he's almost lost his mind to all the rain. He said it's been like a jab to his heart. He told me the scheduler at our big Houston area gunite company had to reschedule 138 pools to next week. (the economy must be doing better than we thought!) I guess when the sun is out, all these PB's are scrambling to do a little bit at a lot of places because of how far behind they are. Our PB's office assistant told me yesterday that one customer has been calling almost daily to scream at her because of the weather - like anyone can do something about it. I felt so bad for the assistant. Hang in there! They will be back again to wake you up with a lot of noise!

It's good to see your dog again, too! Suz.
The 45 days quote was for the entire pool job, not the dig. Which is why I said 45 days would be awesome. They won't come near 45 days, 60 if I'm lucky.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.