AGP Initial Startup

We just got our AGP setup yesterday. Although I've read through pool school twice while waiting for our pool to be up, I still feel like a complete newbie! And am in need of advice/encouragement. :)

We are filling with well water through our water softener (removes our iron). Our fill time will take at least a week because we can only run so much water through the softener at a time before it needs back flushing. We determined that running through the well & softener would be more advantageous than the $1200 quote we received for trucking in water.

On a previous thread I was instructed to begin chlorinating right away by estimating pool volume each day. Tonight the pool calculator estimated approx. 5100 gallons and with a FC target of 3 ppm, to add 32 oz of bleach (6%). Unfortunately, when I was at superstore today I could not find bleach that had the chlorine % on the label (tried several different bottles). I ended up picking up concentrated chlorox and used that. Just dumped it in the pool. Does that sound right?

In terms of CYA (which I will be buying tomorrow), I have read that you place solid CYA in a sock in your skimmer basket. Now should I wait until our water level reaches our skimmer basket (most likely another 3-4 days) before doing this or I can put it in the pool itself and allow it to dissolve as the water level slowly rises?

Thanks in advance for your help.

When you say superstore are you talking about Walmart? Was it their great value brand?

You can go ahead and add the CYA a bit at a time. Just put it in a sock and squeeze the sock until it is gone.

Do you have a good test kit? Look below in my siggy for the link to them if you do not. THAT is the number one thing to take care of your pool

Kim

You can put the cya in the pool if you hang the sock from a pole. Letting it lay right on your liner may very well leave a permenant ugly spot. It is after all, a mild acid.

We just got our AGP setup yesterday. Although I've read through pool school twice while waiting for our pool to be up, I still feel like a complete newbie! And am in need of advice/encouragement. :)

We are filling with well water through our water softener (removes our iron). Our fill time will take at least a week because we can only run so much water through the softener at a time before it needs back flushing. We determined that running through the well & softener would be more advantageous than the $1200 quote we received for trucking in water.

On a previous thread I was instructed to begin chlorinating right away by estimating pool volume each day. Tonight the pool calculator estimated approx. 5100 gallons and with a FC target of 3 ppm, to add 32 oz of bleach (6%). Unfortunately, when I was at superstore today I could not find bleach that had the chlorine % on the label (tried several different bottles). I ended up picking up concentrated chlorox and used that. Just dumped it in the pool. Does that sound right?

In terms of CYA (which I will be buying tomorrow), I have read that you place solid CYA in a sock in your skimmer basket. Now should I wait until our water level reaches our skimmer basket (most likely another 3-4 days) before doing this or I can put it in the pool itself and allow it to dissolve as the water level slowly rises?

Thanks in advance for your help.

I do have a TF-100 test kit already, however our water level is much too low to test at the moment. Until it rises, do I assume that FC is 0 everyday since there is no CYA in the water yet?

It sounds like the consensus is to wait until the water level is high enough to begin running the pump prior to adding CYA. So then I'll just place it in the skimmer basket.

As for the bleach, I live in Canada and we have a large grocery chain called Superstore at which I bought the bleach from. I'll have a look at Walmart today and stock up a bit.

Okay, it's taken 8 days but the pool is finally filled! My husband got the equipment setup yesterday and the pump is now running. I have been dosing with liquid chlorine every night, guesstimating the volume of water and targeting an FC of 3ppm.

Here are my very first set of test results:
FC .5
CC 0
TC .5
CH 0? (It turned blue after adding R-0011L, so I didn't bother adding any R-0012)
TA 90
CYA 0
PH 7.2-7.5

Last night I placed CYA in a nylon. I purchased "stabilizer" from the store and ended up following the directions on the bottle vs pool school because there was a large discrepancy. I was aiming for a CYA of 40 at the moment since we're manually dosing with liquid chlorine (hoping to get SWG setup in a couple days). The bottle said to add 400g or 14 oz whereas pool school said to add 52oz!?

I will carry on with adding liquid chlorine for now. Should I be adding borax to raise PH up a bit? With a TA of 90 I wasn't sure if my PH would start to rise on its own?

Feedback would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

Welcome to TFP and congrats on getting the pool filled.

So, what is your target cya based on the directions you are following? Are you planning not to follow the TFP guideline for CYA?

Your FC is too low and algae will grow if it is that low. Chlorine must be maintained above the minimum level for your CYA level based on this Chlorine CYA Chart.

Here are some intro Pool School articles
TFPC for Beginners
ABC's of Pool Water Chemistry

Here is the Water Balance for a SWCG pool.
Here are the Recommended Pool Chemicals
Use PoolMath to figure out how much to add.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.