Pump Recommendation

Howdy! Well, swimming season is closing in on us here in Michigan, so I'm trying to plan ahead a bit.

Our Hayward Superpump was loud, albeit strong running, all last season. It had a lovely shrieking metal on metal type squeal to it, but continued to pump well.

Should I be looking at a whole new unit, a new motor, or what? I'd like to get something relatively energy efficient if I need to buy a new one. Our pool is about 30,000 gallons with 2 skimmers and 4 returns.

Any advice you can offer will be greatly appreciated!

One of the best values would be to get a replacement two speed motor that will work with your existing pump. A two speed will use significantly less electricity than your existing motor and not cost too much, since you get to keep the existing wet end.

Hayward does not make motors, they buy them from a handful of motor companies and have them custom painted. Commonly you will find A.O. Smith or Emerson motors on Hayward pumps, but there are others that will interchange.

Ok, it sounds like I can't put a dual speed motor on my pump that was originally a single speed.

I can either replace the motor and shaft seal or spend a bit more and buy a whole new unit entirely. I want something as energy efficient as possible. I do run a heater part of the year.

What do y'all recommend?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.