Need for CYA??

May 28, 2013
Washington, Il
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
So I've already added enough CYA to up the amount to 10 (according to bottle directions) but it's still at 0. This is powder form. Regardless, all of my other readings have been in the right range for over 2 weeks straight (including CC below 0.5 and FC around 2-3) by adding about a gallon of bleach a day. WEather is still cool here in central IL. My question is this: if my pool is doing just fine without CYA at this point, why should I add any???

Well, the test starts at 30ppm, so not surprised you can not read a 10ppm level.

As the sun get more intense, you will start to lose more and more FC. I would bump it up to a level that you can actually test.

CYA levels below 20 often show up on the test as if they were zero.

Also, it can take up to a week for granular CYA to dissolve and show up on the test.

If CYA is too low you will loose most of your chlorine to sunlight each day, requiring more total chlorine to maintain a level. Of course you don't want CYA too high either.

For a regular outdoor pool we recommend CYA be between 30 and 50.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.