What happens to muriatic acid in the pool?

Mar 23, 2015
San Diego, CA
I'm just curious as to what happens to the muriatic acid i pour into the pool?
I understand it is lowering my PH and TA, then I can aerate to raise my PH back up and repeat to get my high TA under control.

But does the acid break down as it lowers the PH? Is it consumed like the way chlorine is consumed as it does its job?
I mean, once the acid does it's job, what is left behind? Water? Weak acid? An acid by-product?
Just curious if anybody knows about this.:confused:

Thanks,
Dan

OK, interesting responses.
So... any idea how much salt one gallon of muriatic acid leaves behind?
I'm curious as to how much acid I could put in my small pool before it becomes a "saltwater" pool and starts to rust my metal.
I imagine the amount of salt is quite low... just wondering if there's research on that.
Thanks!

PoolMath will not tell you the amount of salt added from Muriatic Acid. One gallon of full-strength Muriatic Acid (31.45% hydrochloric acid) in 10,000 gallons will increase chloride ions by 35.5 ppm and is the increase in TDS. This calculation could be added to PoolMath.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Ok, you'll have to adjust the dose down based on what you figure from Pool Math using 31.45%

You'll have to experiment,!and be careful. Go a good bit smaller than what you think you will need. Obviously the adjustment will be less with 32% than 36. Good luck.

I make it at work, roughly 80GPM and currently have about 170K gallons on hand :)

Wayne

What kind of plant do you work at again? I swear I asked before, but I couldn't remember or find the post. They make some muriatic acid in the incinerator scrubber on the other side of my section of the plant. On my side's incinerator we just neutralize it with caustic.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What kind of plant do you work at again? I swear I asked before, but I couldn't remember or find the post. They make some muriatic acid in the incinerator scrubber on the other side of my section of the plant. On my side's incinerator we just neutralize it with caustic.

Chemical

We make specialty chemicals and resins. The unit I run mixes two different chemicals in a reactor and one of the by products of it is HCL, we keep it between 35.2-36.7%

Wayne

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.