First time pool owner / Pristine Blue convert

So we bought this house last spring and it came with an above ground pool. I think it's 24' by 48" to the top of the skimmer hole?( I don't actually know how deep it's supposed to be). So I think that puts it around 16,000. At least that is what the pool store lady told me it was and to base my measurements off of. The previous owner used Pristine blue and I figured I would continue using it last year because it was already open when we moved in. I made the mistake of paying someone to close the pool in the fall and all he did was put the cover on and disassemble the pump and such. So I decided there was a better way and with two degrees and access to the Internet, all things are possible! :) I opened it yesterday and put it all back together successfully. A friend of mine put a pool in and turned me on to this site. I went ahead and ordered a test kit but he came over and tested my numbers so I could go ahead and get some advice. This is what I have:

Cya 20
Fc .5
Cc .5
Ph 6.8
Ta 60
Ch 100

It doesn't look too bad, just cloudy; better than I expected! The pristine blue never pulled off a pool that looked as good as the stories I see on here though! I need to get the leaves out (my friend just showed me how to use the vacuum hose this evening which really helped). What do you guys think????

I've linked some pictures I uploaded to Flickr.
https://flickr.com/photos/91789000@N04/sets/72157651950864349

I also have a 200 gallon hot tub but I haven't decided to test those waters yet (pun completely intended)!

Thanks in advance!

Matt

Welcome to TFP!

Credit where credit is due: the Pristine Blue is probably the reason the pool is clear. Copper is a pretty good algaecide.

But the negatives outweigh the benefits. You need to get an idea of your copper level to see if your water is usable. Have a couple of pool stores test the water for copper as a start.

I think you need some chlorine soon. Use pool math above to get the right amount, but my estimate starting at .5 with a cya of 20 is 72 ounces of 8.25 % bleach to be at 3.5 FC. Again pool math above will give you an exact number.

So with a copper level of .7 will he be ok to switch to TFP without draining any. Or at least get by this year and let it come down on its own due to rain and splash out, then drain it for the winter and try to fix the copper level in the fall?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
So, what do I need to do about my copper levels? Anything? Should I add bleach and get my FC up? How do I check my filter?

Can you post a pic of your filter pump using photobucket?then we can tell you how to get to it.

As for the copper, I would want to bring it down or invest in a lot of swimmers shampoo. I have used metal free to bring down metals last year.

So, what do I need to do about my copper levels? Anything? Should I add bleach and get my FC up? How do I check my filter?
Yes, add bleach and get the FC up .

With metals inthe water you will need to keep a sequestrant in the water to keep it from coming out of solution as stains on your liner or green hair for your blonde friends. Read Metals in the Water and Metal Stains in Pool School

Can you put up a picture of your filter so we can try to figure that out?

Welcome to TFP

So I was able to get all the leaves out with the vacuum and I added a gallon of 12.5% I found at Ollies for 2.99. I also man handled my filter open and this is the filter inside. The pool store lady said the previous owner installed a permanent filter, but I kinda wanna see what you guys think? Is this salvageable with a hose down?image.jpgimage.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

I forgot to note that green looking stuff is kind of gritty, I'm not sure if it is supposed to be there:-/

The more ive thought about it, im wondering if that green gritty stuff is actually copper that has collected in the filter from the pristine blue? I ordered another filter last night and i imagine it should be on its way soon. So my test kit still hasn't shown up and i can't say i've gotten an email that its shipped? What should i be doing in the mean time? i vacuumed up everything already and its pretty leaf free. i've been running the pump for 12 hours through the night.i plan on adding some metal free stuff this evening. what else should i be doing though? How much chlorine can i add if i can't measure my levels?

For now I would add 2 - 3 PPM of chlorine each day until you get your test kit. Pool Math (link at top of the page) will tell you how much chlorine to all to get that level.

When you get a moment, please add the details of your pool to your forum signature. To change your signature, select "Settings" (top right under Pool School button). Scroll down (left side) to "My Settings" & select Edit Signature.

I see the details of his pool in his signature. And I think I would run my pump 24/7 until I get my kit. I think I would SLAM as well if it were me. As soon as I got my kit, just to be sure nothing is growing in there that you cant see.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.