First time pool owner / Pristine Blue convert

So looking at your numbers....I agree with Tim. I'd add 30-40oz of your 12% a day until you get your kit. Your CYA is at 20. You need to bump that up to at least 30-35 for our area. If you have a bag of shock laying around or a few tabs, you could use that to add FC and CYA at the same time. You're so low on that right now a bag of shock wouldnt hurt you at all.
I'll let some of the experts jump in and verify if thats a good idea or not though.

CYA keeps the sun from destroying all your FC. To use some random numbers.....At a FC level of 6 with 20 CYA, you'll be down to a FC level of 1 or 2 within a day. If you bump it up to 30-35, you might go from a 6 to a 4 on a sunny day. Which is normal. Most ppl on here average a 2-3ppm loss during the summer. I like to think of CYA as sunscreen for your FC. You can still get sunburned, but it takes longer if you have sunscreen on. Same thing with your FC.....The sun will still destroy it....I just takes longer.

Not much you can really do until you get your kit. And by the looks of that filter, it doesn't appear to be doing much of anything right now.

Good Luck.

Added another 25-30oz. Of chlorine. Still waiting on my test kit to get here. I'm hoping its tomorrow but we'll see. I'm a little frustrated with my filter? When I took it apart the previous owner put black caulking stuff around the inside of the top lid part. The rubber gasket/ huge o ring thing was intact. But when I finally put it back together I could see why someone might do that because it was leaking. Not too fast but a few drops a second. Is it a good idea to put a caulk back in it to seal it up again? Or should I try and clean out the black caulk (which I've actually never seen anything like and I do a lot of home improvement) and see if I can get the original gasket to seal?

I also put in a bottle of metal free in to try and get the copper away? How long should something like that take to work?

No, there should not be caulk there. The gasket or "O" ring should seal it without "help". You may want to Google the filter model and see if you can get a replacement gasket.

I added a gallon and some. I think pool math recommended 130-140 oz? I can't remember and I can't imagine that 10oz of chlorine in a 14,000 gallon pool is the end of the world.

- - - Updated - - -

Just wondering though... a lot of my numbers seem okay but low... how do i raise my PH to where it needs to be? Or is that irrelevant at this point? Is that the kind of thing that comes with time?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Grocery store in the laundry aisle ... use borax or washing soda (soda ash) to raise the pH.

Your TA could use to come up a bit too (around 70ppm) ... use baking soda for that after the pH is in range.

So couple of questions.

How does you water look? Cloudy, pretty clear, crystal clear?
It seems with you adding as much FC as you have over the past few days, you should be higher than .5 on the FC part. Something might be consuming it.

I'm surprised some of the others haven't recommended a SLAM yet. I would at least do an OCLT to make sure you are good on that part.

If your water isn't crystal clear but you are passing the OCLT and still have a CC of .5 then your filter might not be doing its job. When you get your new filter, it should help.

I would get your CYA up a little to at least 30 if not 35. Keep your FC above 2 at the ABSOLUTE minimum. I'd shoot to keep it at 4. pH needs to be at ~7.5.

But I think there is something going on with your pool. I still think your FC should have been higher. You were at .5 on your first post. Then you added a gallon of 12%. And you added another 40oz the next day. Then you tested again and were at .5 that time too. Something doesn't look right.
Hopefully some of the more experienced ppl will chime in. I want to see the finished product. I'm interested in your journey......:)

Oh yeah.....They love pics here. The more the merrier.

From a fellow WV to another......Stick with it.

0257937ac531026f63399613dd92f89c.jpg

Starting a slam! Doesn't look to bad at first.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Looking good ... Just tested and I'm holding strong at 12 ppm FC AND 0 CC. ive been at it a couple hours scrubbing and vacuuming and finally got everything out for now.
9260a630d5f7a54ab2bdb69575d2fa20.jpg

Sorry this doesn't look all that interesting. I know you all love the black lagoon vs ice from the moon looking water but it's really a big step for me to turn this from something I was comfortable with. I definitely feel more educated about my equipment the water and what's safe.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.