Does hard water prevent maintaining FC?

amati5

Sep 13, 2011
So Cal
My latest test (with TP-50) showed CH to be somewhere between 750 to 1000. TA is 140 but PH is within range and CYA is 75 (for swg). Every time I checked, a week after Clorox, FC is very low, almost to zero. I tested the generator by super chlorinate and checked the following morning and I know it works. I know the weather is like summer already but I have it run for 6 hrs with 95% output which should be enough. The water also looked very cloudy. Not cloudy as being dirty but as the water has a gray tint which I know the sign of high calcium in the water. In the past few years, after a swim, I would feel the stickiness, just like shower with hard water.

It's kind of too late to ask since I've already drained 2/3 of the pool (I realized I only had time to do it this past weekend) but I just want to confirm. I drained/filled 1/3 back in March but before that, it was never done in 15 yrs. I had been hesitated to do this because of my high water bill but the longer I wait, the more time and money I spent on chemical.

Thx

No, CH will not affect the FC.

As you are draining and refilling, have you tested the fill water to see what the CH is? With high CH fill water you may be back in the same boat soon.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.