After Pool Party

bwright42tx

LifeTime Supporter
Aug 25, 2008
Okay, just had a pool party yesterday, I raised the CL to 4.0 before the party (Friday Night, the party was on Saturday). I left the pmp running on highspeed overnight. his morning here are my test results:

FC 0
CC 0
TC 0
PH 8.2
TA 70
CH 100
CYA Approximately 30 (best guess)

Now I'm adding 75oz f bleach per the pool calculator to bring me up to 2.0 ppm. I'm not worried about the CH right now because its still a fairly new pool, but won't lowering the PH also lower the TA wich is already low? What would my ideal TA be for my pool, and is four weeks old (for the plaster) oo soon to add borates?

Thanks.

First, when the PH gets above 8.0 you should always lower it right away. Ideally you should never let the PH get above 8.0 in the first place.

Lowering the PH will also lower the TA a little. You can raise the TA by adding baking soda. Deal with the PH first, then you can do the TA after. If you are using bleach, the recommended TA level is between 70 and 90. If you are using trichlor tablets then the recommended TA level is 100 to 120.

If FC went to zero you should raise it higher than 2. I suggest raising FC to 6, some people would say to shock the pool. After a pool party where the FC went to zero there will be organics in the water than need to get oxidized. Your FC goal with CYA at 30 is between 2 and 6. If you only bring FC up to 2, some of it will go away very quickly oxidizing the organics and you won't be at 2 any more.

I think the ozonator is doing a good job of oxidizng the organics, I'll test the CL again tonight, then again in the morning to check for overnight FC loss. I added some MA to lower the PH, I'll re-check the TA in the morning and then add backing soda to get that in line.

After adding 75 oz of bleach and 30z of muratic acid, I retested the water tonight ad I'm still reading 0 FC, but the PH is down to between 7.2 and 7.5. I brushed the entire pool this afternoon and ran the suction side cleaner for a couple hours.

Does anyone have any experience with the ozonator? I'm curious if maybe the FC is combining with stuff in the water and the ozone is oxidzing the CC so I'm still reading nothing on my tests.

I added another 75 oz of chlorine, this would get me up tp 4ppm if I'd added 150 oz in the beginning so I'll re-check the water in the morning, and if I still have no FC I guess I'lll shock the pool.

Thanks

Now that you have gotten your pH down to where it needs to be, it sounds like you need to go ahead and shock your pool. You get more mileage out of a FC bump with your pH under control.

After the additional Chlorine last night, this morning its reading 2 ppm FC, and 0 CC. Looks like its under control, with n FC loss overnight (since it was reading 0 when I added the second 75 oz) just not sure where the original chlorine went. I'll test again tonight and add Baking Soda to get the TA where it needs to be.

As I said the first time, after a pool party where the FC level goes to zero there will be organics remaining in the water that will be quickly oxidized by any chlorine you add, reducing the chlorine level significantly. Raising the FC level very slowly, as you did, runs a significant risk of algae getting started. It is much better to add enough chlorine right at the beginning to get to a reasonable FC level right away.

I understand that the organics used up all my chlorine, I just don't understand why I wasn't able to read any CC in the water, where did the CC go that fast. Next time I'll raise the FC faster to make sure I don't have any problems.

You won't always see any CC. CC is an intermediate breakdown product, half way between the original organic contaminates and clean water. CC is always being both created and destroyed. The relative rates of creation and destruction vary, sometimes it is created quickly and accumulates other times it is broken down quickly and you never actually see any in the water (even though it is there for a moment).

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.