How to reduce noise from deck jets?

Sseaman

LifeTime Supporter
Sep 6, 2013
Nashville, TN
We have 2 deck jets individually plumbed, when they are on it seems too loud so I have been trying to find a water to lower this without losing the distance of the arch. I contacted Jandy but they don't have other nozzle options. I found I could insert a piece of rubber tubing with a smaller hole and this achieves the desired result when my pump is on low speed but if high speed kicks in it will blow the tubing out of the nozzle. Any ideas as I would like to keep the deck jets on no matter the pump speed. I typically run on low with the valve for the deck jets and 3 returns on so I would think the returns would be able to handle the additional pressure provided on high speed which only runs 10 psi on filter gauge.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Is it the jet that is loud or the arcing watering hitting the pool water?

Laminar jets might help if they are not already that type.

You are fighting physics. The water needs to get to a certain height so that it can get the distance you want. The height ensures it hits the water with a certain velocity which it turn makes the noise.

However, as I said before, a laminar jet may help some since the water is in a smooth stream when it hits the water but it will still make some noise.

Related - I've got 8 deck jets -on two zones - each jet with their own ball valve so I can calibrate the arches with one another. I installed everything myself so of course it's totally over-engineered. Well - the first season they were great. Water came out in a very clean tight arch. Very little spray for the most part and overall not too loud.

At the end of the first season I had the installer close the pool so I could see what they did and replicate the process going forward. When closing the jets - they literally took needle nose pliers and yanked the nozzles off the ball sockets by grabbing them through the outlet hole - totally screwing up the honed water outlet. The next season (last year) - the spray pattern was a disaster. The water arch was no longer tight and the noise from all the splashing water landing was MUCH louder. Very annoying.

I'm getting ready to re-install this year - and before I do so, I'm going to spend some time trying to clean up the tips.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.