Considering converting to a SWG

kcindc

Gold Supporter
LifeTime Supporter
TFP Guide
Sep 2, 2011
Fairfax, VA
I am currently a jug tosser and I've been considering adding a SWG. I apologize in advance, but I'm trying to determine the parts needed to make the conversion and I don't know the parts needed. I know an electrician, but he doesn't have any pool equipment knowledge. I plan to buy the parts and have him do the install.

Right now I have two intermatic timers, one for the pump and one for my pressure side cleaner booster pump.

I also have a small electrical panel with available breakers. I also have a regular household type plugs (don't know the term).

I install the SWG directly as a replacement to the Nature 2 Fusion inline chlorinator which I purchased before I knew anything about pools and before finding this website. I no longer use the mineral cartridge and I only use chlorine pucks when my CYA is down or when I go on vacation.

Because of my pool size and chlorine demand from my lab-otter mix and insanely tall tulip poplar trees, I think the Intellichlor 60K is the biggest/largest chlorine output. Is this correct?

I found the SWG cell here:
http://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B004VU89XA/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER

Which of these controllers would be best for future automation systems:

http://smile.amazon.com/Pentair-520...Generator/dp/B000VE3HD2/ref=pd_bxgy_lg_text_y
or
http://smile.amazon.com/Pentair-521...1430767775&sr=1-5&keywords=intellichlor+power

Does the controller get wired to the intermatic timer that controls the pump?

Do I need a flow switch and what does it do?

Does the flow switch come with the salt cell or the controller listed above?

Where does the flow switch need to be installed before or after the cell and how far apart?

How long is the cord of the salt cell? I have about 2.5 feet from where I want to install the power controller to my electrical panel post.

Thanks!

There are bigger SWGs from Circupool ... I might recommend one of those instead of the Pentair due to the higher cell costs and the lack of control of the SWG output with a Pentair automation system.

Although if you are thinking of adding automation, then the Intellichlor would be fine.
The first link to the power center is needed if you do not have automation. With this you would wire it to your pump timer.

The second link is the automation center which includes the power supply for the SWG cell. With this you would get rid of the intermatic timers. EDIT: I am not sure if this is true or not. I am not clear on the Pentair lineup of systems.

I think the flow switch is built into the cells for the Pentair systems.

The cords are usually 15 feet long.

Kcindc, I went through the same process last year, so I’ll share my experience.

My pool is about the same size as yours, and I was converting from a Nature2 ProG. After seeking advice on here, I ended up purchasing the AutoPilot RC-52 from this site:
http://www.saltpoolguys.com/autopilot-pool-pilot-digital-complete-system-package/
The owner of the site, Josh, is also a member here and directed me toward that unit. He was great with getting back quickly to any questions I had. I did the installation myself and it was very straight-forward. I installed the SWG where my Nature2 was, and wired it directly into the same location as my pump so the timer controls both. This is my first year using it, so I can’t report too much yet, but I’ve been very happy so far. I know others on here have the same unit, and I’ve only heard/read great reviews everywhere I’ve looked. I did not install a flow switch, but I do not have a heater, so I can’t speak to whether or not you’d need to do anything differently. (EDIT: I read flow switch and my brain was thinking check valve. The flow switch is built into the unit) I’m sure others will chime in as well.

Just got my TF-100 and Taylor Salt Test Kits, and it feels great knowing exactly what’s going on with my pool, and knowing there are many knowledgeable members here that will answer any questions I have. Not having to rely on the pool store is a great feeling!

kcindc,

I'm not sure how much "automation" that Autopilot has. It looks just like a swg controller to me.

If you get the intellichlor, you can get the Suntouch, which offers automation. I have mine controlling my solar panels (via motorized valve), pool heater, booster pump, main pump, and even the pool light. Its' the brains of the pool pad. If you can afford it this is the way to go, but know that there are other ways in terms of automation.

The chlorinator, power center for chlorinator, and Suntouch will run around $2k....based on a quick online look. Really its about 2x the price of a swg, but offers a lot more. Do a search for the Pentair Suntouch manual to see all the options. Be warned, the manual isn't written very well and the automation thing is nice, albeit a little technical. (EDIT: if I had to do it again, I would look at the Hayward Aqua Plus control center with chlorinator....looks easier to use and costs less).

Do I need a flow switch and what does it do?

Only allows the cell to run when water is flowing....so yes, very important.

Does the flow switch come with the salt cell or the controller listed above?

Salt cell, based on my experience.

Where does the flow switch need to be installed before or after the cell and how far apart?

IIRC before....usually within a few inches.

How long is the cord of the salt cell? I have about 2.5 feet from where I want to install the power controller to my electrical panel post.

My chord for my Hayward Aquarite cell and power center is about 6' long.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.