Antifreeze

We will be lowering our pool level below all returns. With 2 skimmers and 4 return lines we have about 250 ft of lines to fill. Looks like it will be about 25 gallons @ $4.50 a pop. Is it imperative to add antifreeze in the returns? I suppose, unless there is pretty good consensus for not adding antifreeze to the returns I will pony up for peace of mind.

Depends on how cold. In our case, it gets cold here in ND. I mean really cold, so its not a question here. Where you are at, I would assume it also gets cold, so my 2 cents would be to add it. I have 1 skimmer and 2 return lines and I used 4 gallons. Well worth it in my book.

Thats my input anyway.

I've said this before, elsewhere. but I don't mind repeating my advice a few times :wink:

If you have a completely waterless line (ie. you blow ALL the water out of it), you don't need to add antifreeze - no water = no ice expansion = no burst pipes :) However, it's ~ impossible to blow ALL the water out of a line (water clings to the sides of the pipe and will drain back down to the lowest point). As long as the pipe isn't full at that point, the ice has room enough to expand without harming the line. I would add some anti-freeze to any line I could just to insure that the little bit of water won't cause a problem. I see NO reason to completely fill the lines with antifreeze! As long as the lowest point where the water will collect is below the frostline, you don't need antifreeze, but it's probably better to err on the side of caution! I'd add ~ 1/2 gallon to each line I could just as a little insurance :)

Consider what I've said here and decide to do it as you feel will be best for you/ your pool 8)

It does get cold here...not quite ND brutal... but we usually have about 18-24" ice on the skating pond.
Sounds like good advise, waste. I think I have read your posts on this...just a little slow sometimes :hammer:
I understand if the lines are blown out, there is little chance of expansion...expanding nothing seems pretty harmless. I guess my concern was if water level rose (we have mesh safety cover) and then a return line plug was somehow compromised and the line filled. Think I'll put a 1/2 gallon in the shorter runs and a full gallon in the longer runs and be done with it.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.