Pool Needs major work! (I think)

So, we bought this forclosure and low and behold there is a pretty large pool in the back. Its about 16' x 44' True L in shape with a 12' deep end vermiculite hard bottom, liner in ground pool thats can either hold 25,000-35,000 gal of water (still going through paperwork that was left behind). I love the idea of having a pool and we bought this house to fix up and live in it. Filling it in is not an option I'm fond of. The problem is the bank Emptied the pool and it has been sitting empty (which i've read is a big no-no) for 3 years with no cover on it. From the looks of it half of the liner is torn a part and I'm pretty sure the whole vermiculite surface will need to be re-done. It does not look like the pool structure has shifted or floated out of place. My main concern is how much this is going to cost, now I know nobody on here will be able to give an actual price but I'm just looking for some rough numbers on what the resurfacing and liner instalation would be? I've never owned a pool and i'm really not sure what to expect so be nice:) I'll try to upload pictures when I get home from work.

Welcome to the forum. :wave:

My assumption is the pool pump and filter, etc have been removed or you'll need new.

Just a WAG but to fix the pool and get a new liner maybe 5-7k. new equipment - 2k.

What condition is the decking in?

The decking looks good, maybe a few minor cracks but nothing that looks major(to me anyway). They actually left the pool pump, filter, and heating system there. We will probably end up needing to replace all that like you said.Thanks so much for your input! That $ amount is kind of what we assumed we would need to put into it. I'm just hoping that when we get someone out to do do the pressure test the plumbing held up over all those years! Thanks so much again :)

Hi, welcome to TFP! Have you had a chance to look around and see what pool equipment you have? Feel free to post pictures of your pool project. We love pictures!

Edit: I see you have found the major equipment. What kind of filter is it? Its pretty rare it would go bad just sitting. As long as the tank is in good shape the internal parts can usually be replaced. Pump may or may not be good. You can briefly turn it on just to see if it starts. If the wet end is in good shape you can swap out just the motor if needed. The heater is the most likely item to need replacing. They don't just sit very well.

I'll be back momentarily with some pics, we currently live right down the street, and to be honest with you I have no clue what I'm looking at so I'll get pictures! The people before us also had a hot tub hooked up in there basement (seems odd) so I'm confused with what equipment might go to what, I'm assuming and hoping most of it's for the pool and not the hot tub.

Here are some pictures. The bank put that "cover" on it if that's what you wanna call it.
3ac1450fae2869f4ca7d0aca0cca056e.jpg
04384d47aaa71843572c4e94c708d43d.jpg
da839ec896553cfc7fc321d0a7e3086c.jpg
dc16db5d3c5039567a6485264f174303.jpg
8ac52043395228d0548dcfded133fff7.jpg
ab6599967e1ace6cc34ac332bf7c9363.jpg

So judging from the Pictures i've provided, I would assume you guys agree that the whole inside of the pool would have to be resurafaced? I'm worried about the cement around the pool also, which is the first pic.I took a closer look a seems a little separated from grass, do you think it the surouding cement will need to be ripped up as well?

- - - Updated - - -

i'm a little concerned that it might actually be more cost efficiant to just fill it in.... but I really dont want to do that :(

Cost to fill in the pool will likely be more than fixing it. I was worried this was going to look very bad, from the photos you have posted it does not look all that bad, depending on if there is freeze damage in the equipment from it not being drained and winterized. My guess is also in the $7,000 ballpark, get multiple bids and don't be tempted to get a cheap liner, cheap vinyl liners may fail in just 3-4 years, where better quality ones can last over a decade if cared for properly.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Even though not attractive, this doesnt look all that bad to me.
The walls of the pool from what we can see arent rusted though. The seem to be clear of any major errosion.

The vermiculite will need to be cleaned up, possibly some patches here and there. Removing the debris from the bottom will reveal if there is any major damage to it. Need some new faceplates for the skimmer and the light if it has one, and all new eyeballs.

I dont see anything wrong with the concrete. That gap you have leads me to thing that possibly there has been some ground settling at least in that area that may extend under the deck.

Looks to me like its worth saving and I would think 7-8K would cover it, providing there arent any underground or under deck broken pipes.

Thank you so much for the replies everyone! Like I mentioned previously we have never owned a pool before and really have no idea what we are getting into. Thanks for the rough estimates it's give me a ball park when calling someone to come out and get estimates, and I certainly don't want to get ripped off!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.