What is strong enough to blow out sand that is in my pipes?

Hello,

I have an in-ground pool, 18' x 36". I has 4 cartridges in the filter.

I opened my filter and it had sand in it (it should not have sand in it). When I had the pavers done, the wind kept blowing the sand in until they sealed the spaces.

Additionally, 2 jets or returns (The first one in the low end... if I plug it will build up pressure and when I unplug it a gush of water will come out but that's the end of it. The 2nd one in the deep end, has nothing coming out of it).

There could be something in the lines (sand, gravel) OR the lines are kinked. I would like to take the least expensive route, first. This would be to blow out the lines. What is strong enough to blow sand out of the lines? Anything? IS there some kind of snake that would be safe to use? If this does not work, the next step would be $ 5,000 to pick up all the paver blocks, lay new lines and put the paver blocks back.

I do have 2 more at the steps which work great.

I was told I can run the pool with just the 2 jets at the steps because it keeps the pool clean. But I would like it all to work correctly.

What is STRONG enough to blow out sand or gravel or something to push it out?

I do understand this may not be the issue (it could be a kinked line) but lets start with this.

Thank you.

Re: What is stron enough to blow out sand that is in my pipes?

Hi, welcome to TFP!

+1 for having things work correctly! Have you removed the eyeball to see if it is clogged just behind the eyeball? Stuck a coat hanger or plumber's snake in there (from pool side) to dislodge it? I think the next step would be to block the returns that are flowing to see if it will blow out the clogged up line.

Welcome to TFP!

Unless you have a problem with your filter, you can't have sand in your return lines. What does your pressure gauge read, and what does the water in the pump strainer basket look like?

Welcome to TFP.

Is air coming out of the returns that water is not flowing from?

What is the filter pressure when they are clean?

Is there air in the pump basket when it's running?

Are you losing water at more than the evaporation rate?

I ask those questions because I think you have something besides sand in the pipes going on.

I took the eye balls out, they were not clogged.

I did close the good lines already but the pipe started to swell that's how we knew it was either blocked or kinked.

..but I will try the plumbers snake next.

- - - Updated - - -

water in pump strainer clear.
Pressure gauge reads 10-12.

when I had the paver blocks put in...it was a windy day...some sand blew in the pool...when they vacuumed it I guess it made it passed the strainer and into the filter.

- - - Updated - - -

Air is NOT coming out of the lines where water is NOT flowing.

Filter pressure 10-12.

no air in pump basket...water clear in pump basket.

What is the evaporation rate suppose to be? how much per week? Right now with the weather the way it is...I do not notice the water level going down at all.

I took the eye balls out, they were not clogged.

I did close the good lines already but the pipe started to swell that's how we knew it was either blocked or kinked.

..but I will try the plumbers snake next.

- - - Updated - - -

water in pump strainer clear.
Pressure gauge reads 10-12.

when I had the paver blocks put in...it was a windy day...some sand blew in the pool...when they vacuumed it I guess it made it passed the strainer and into the filter.

- - - Updated - - -

Air is NOT coming out of the lines where water is NOT flowing.

Filter pressure 10-12.

no air in pump basket...water clear in pump basket.

What is the evaporation rate suppose to be? how much per week? Right now with the weather the way it is...I do not notice the water level going down at all.

Even if you put a dump truck load of sand directly into the pool, it couldn't get into the return lines. That is the one place in your entire system that can't get stuff into it without a major filter problem.

Welcome to TFP!

Unless you have a problem with your filter, you can't have sand in your return lines. What does your pressure gauge read, and what does the water in the pump strainer basket look like?

Good point, I was asleep at the wheel on that. Filter would not let sand past to get into the return lines.

So there's nothing coming out of the returns where no water is flowing?

Can you post a pic of the equipment pad?

How old is the pool?

Have those non-working returns ever worked?

So there's nothing coming out of the returns where no water is flowing?

Can you post a pic of the equipment pad?

How old is the pool?

Have those non-working returns ever worked?

the pool was built in 1994.

yes the lines worked very well except this season.

I will try to post picture tomorrow.

- - - Updated - - -

the lines worked well until this opening of the pool. the pool was built in 1994. I will post picture later.

It's sounding like a plug was left in or a valve is closed or partially closed. It could be plugged with debris, but that would be odd.

Here's a statement that bothers me.
What type piping do you have? It's very odd to be able to see piping swell. Even tubing won't show swelling at the pressures we're dealing with?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support

It's flex piping. When we closed the valve to the 2 good jets. The flex line started to swell because there must be a blockage in the line to the jets that are not putting any water or air flow out. What do you suspect ? Kinked lines?

the valve---3 way...
#1)in from the filter...
#2) to the jets by the steps...which work wonderful....
#3) goes to one jet on the left side of the pool (shallow end) and one on the right side in the deep end of the pool. these are the 2 I have trouble with.

we closed the valve to stop the water flow to the 2 jets on the steps (because they work fine)...
so there was just water flow to the (#3)which goes to a TEE and the splits off to one jet on the left side of the pool (shallow end) and one on the right side in the deep end of the pool. these are the 2, I have trouble with.
There was a lot of noise and we can see the flex pipe that starts to go underground swelling (for lack of better word). we only let it go for about 15 seconds. We got nervous.

If we leave the valve neutral (no lines closed off from water flow)...I plugged the two jets that are NOT working....the one jet on the left side in the shallow end filled up with water and was pushing out the sides of the plug....I removed the plug and a gush of water came out but then stopped....the other jet that was plugged in the deep end nothing happened..no water build up.

I appreciate your help..

Are there any plugs left in the jets that aren't working?

How long did you run the pump once you removed the plug from the jet that wasn't working, but emitted the water once you unplugged it?

It sounds like either a plugged line or a valve not operating normally leaving the line partially blocked. I would pull the top off the valves and see if they look ok.

If the valves look ok, you could try blowing the lines out with an air compressor.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.