Spa Pump won't Fully Prime

mth3r

May 4, 2015
Manassas/Virginia
I've been lurking on the site for the last couple of years getting tips on how to do various maintenance activities with my inground spa and pool. Anyway, I tried to open my spa last weekend. The pump primed and everything was going well. I started to vacumn out the spa and after a while I went to backwash the filter. After I cleaned out the basket in front of the spa, I have never been able to get a full prime. I've done many of the tricks I've read about on the site but to no avail.
I tried:
  • Plunger
  • Hose with a rag wrapped around it
  • Hose with the bladder at the end that inflates to make a tight seal
  • Check the impeller for clog

I am beginning to think it may be on the pressure side of the pump because the pump won't prime regardless of if I close the skimmer line or the drain line.
For what it's worth, the filter shows no pressure and I've bled off the air until water spits out of the valve on top of the filter.

I am currently running the pump without the full prime with the hopes that it will still clear the water. The spa heater won't run without a full prime, but getting the winter's algea out is good enough until I can solve this problem. Any help would be great.

Welcome to the forum!

How did you check the impeller for a clog? Did you go as far as dissembling the pump? Sometimes the debris lodges in the vanes and the only way to get to that is taking apart the pump.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.