Some air in pump gasket / return pressure issues

Jun 30, 2008
Suffolk County, NY
Hey all,

Another year another 10 problems :)

This year upon having all equipment connected, there is a small bit of air in the pump gasket. Not a lot.
But normally there is absolutely none. There are just some small bubbles swirling around.

Within about an hour of this, the air becomes greater in the gasket. Still nothing substantial. But larger bubbles. At this time, the return pressure is significantly diminished.

If I backwash or even just 'bump' the filter (set it to backwash just for a second and then back to filter) the air bubbles go back to barely noticable and the return pressure is great for about another hour. Until it happens again.

The cement / equipment pad is pretty wet all the time. So something over there is leaking, but I cant really see what. I think the multi-valve port has some leaking happening.
Also whats interesting and I dont think I ever noticed before is, when this is happening, and I turn the filter off, water forces its way out of the pump gasket. Just looks like so much pressure is built up on there that it squeezes its way out. I dont think thats happened in the past. The seal does look good and the o-ring seems in place and ok.

Any suggestions that I can look for on my own before I call my pool guy to come back?

Thanks so much in advance

You say, "when this is happening, and I turn the filter off, water forces its way out of the pump gasket." - This tells me the pump strainer basket lid is either not installed correctly (cross-threaded) or the "O" Ring is bad. No water should ever come out of this and it should be "sealed". So, with it not being sealed a small amount of air is being allowed in while it runs.

If you could update your profile to include your location and just a little more information in your signature about your equipment my help.

Thanks guys. I changed my profile as best I could for now. I can give it more detail when I get back to see pump brands, etc.

I will double check the lid. But other than so much pressure being built up that water forces its way out when I turn the pump off, it does appear sealed well. I will also replace the o-ring tonight.

Appreciate it!

Unfortunately changing the o-ring did not help. Water still comes out of the pump lid a bit at times when I turn the pump off. I think this hayward pump lid is designed to do this. When its running, the seal seems locked down tight.

Is there anything else I should be looking for that might be causing a bit of air in... Slowly degrading my return pressure as the day goes on?

My old RS Hayward pump always squirted out water from the lid when the pump shut off. Never sucked any air in though.

Could try shaving cream on the joints and see if it is sucked in anywhere.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.