New to this site and need help

Hello everyone!
I have had pools and always filled the up with city water before but I recently move to the lake and have a well. The well is small and slow it would take a week or better to fill the pool. With that said... I used lake water to fill it. The water is murky, it's sort of clear but brownish. How do I clear it up?

I bet if you take a nice white bucket and scoop water out of the lake it will appear "murky, it's sort of clear but brownish" also. Everyone has pointed you in the same direction, filtering and chlorine will clear up the water. Just like stuff lives in the water in the lake (algae) it is now living in your pool.

If you have read around here much you have probably seen that not much credence is given to pool store testing. While you would think that a "professional" would be the best, unfortunately in most cases it is quite the opposite. Between employees who blindly trust the word of chemical sales representatives and high school kids working in the pool store for the summer you end up with poor results from their testing. So we would not recommend taking a sample down to the pool store for testing. They are going to tell you what we already know - you got lake water in your pool. Then they are going to sell you lots of "stuff" to lighten you wallet. We do things differently around here. We believe in accurate testing and only adding what is necessary to fix the problem.

To follow the pool care methods taught here you need to arm yourself with the knowledge and tools necessary to care for your pool.

The knowledge is condensed in the Pool School link at the top of every page. It is a great community here, but we do ask that you read and try to understand the information being taught. Questions are always welcome and folks will try to direct you and teach you the methods.

The tools are not limited to the brushes, vacuum hoses and other stuff you use around the pool, but include the most important item - one of the recommended test kits. You can buy a kit at a pool store, but again the pool store kits generally won't cut it. To effectively practice the TFPC methods, the FAS/DPD chlorine test is essential. All these kits contain that test while very few other kits do. Think of it this way, do you see a doctor blindly prescribing drugs without seeing the patient or having tests run?

Hi, welcome to TFP! You will need to perform the SLAM process on your pool. It is necessary to have a high quality FAS/DPD test kit such as the Taylor K2006 or the TF 100 to test the higher chlorine levels needed during the slam. Liquid chlorine is recommended for the slam. You can either use pool store liquid chlorine or plain, unscented bleach from the store as your source of chlorine. After the pool is clear you can add any other needed chemicals to balance the pool.

Please edit your signature to include information about the pool such as pool type (above ground or in ground), surface (vinyl, plaster, or fiberglass), size in gallons, pump brand and horsepower, filter type (sand, DE, or cartridge), filter brand and size, and any water features, cleaning systems, and if there is a spa (attached or detached). Also please include that you are on well water or under water restrictions if those conditions apply to your pool. It will show up at the bottom of everything you post and it is easier for us to help you if we don't have to search the thread for this information.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.