Silicone vs butyl tape for light cord conduit leak. Can butyl tape be used underwater

Mar 14, 2015
San Antonio, TX
Just went through a pool resurface and upgraded lights to led. The conduit is from the 80's and probably has a pinhole somewhere. Is it necessary to drain the pool to apply the butyl tape? If I do drain the pool is silicone an acceptable sealant for pools? Will the chemicals degrade it over time. I've read about underwater epoxy on the forums. Will that stuff really stick to surfaces underwater. It seems like I could get the silicone farther up the old conduit to seal it up.

Thanks,
Rob

Underwater epoxy is the only think likely to stop a leak for more than a short while.

You don't want anything "further up the old conduit". You want to leave subsequent repairs some chance of removing the epoxy/tape in case the fixture ever needs to be replaced.

Butyl tape is the stuff to use. Easy to apply. can be applied underwater (although it is easier whey dry). Most importantly it is easily removable which is critical. just pack the stuff in there. NEVER USE EPOXY IN THIS SETTING. You will render the conduit permanently unserviceable. You could use silicone which is easy and can be done underwater but it is difficult to remove for future servicing. Pentair makes a plug which can be attached over the wires. If you are pulling all new wires you can get a perforated stopper available on amazon. Take my word.. Butyl tape is the stuff to use. EASY, DURABLE, REMOVABLE. you will be glad you did.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.