What if - it's clear & we dig tomorrow & then it pours again?

Sunbaby

LifeTime Supporter
Feb 27, 2015
Centerville, TX
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Jandy Truclear / Ei
Ok guys, we are still scheduled to dig tomorrow. I think I need some Xanax & wine because I am FREAKING out. It's been dry & sunny for 4-5 days. It's supposed to be dry tomorrow. So - what if they dig & then it rains Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday, Friday, you get the idea. Won't that cave in the work?

Yesterday the PB said I'll see you Monday morning as long as it's not raining.

Hi Sunbaby,
yeah, wall collapses happen. I understand freaking out about it too! If I were you, I would ask the PB who is going to pay to fix a wall collapse due to too much rain, and go from there.

having said that, PBs can fix collapses fairly easily. Its not the end of the world at all, but some PB's will go ahead and dig and if it collapses, expect you to pay for it.
So... ask him.

Yes it may. But pool cave-ins of this sort are the builders responsibility and will cause no issues for your completed pool., only to your blood pressure if you let them. PB's are well versed in fixing the best Mother Nature can offer up. Sometimes it looks ugly too. But sit back, relax and enjoy the dig. Rain happens.

What they told me about cave-ins was this. If we are scheduled to dig & there is rain in the forecast we give you the option to dig or wait. If you say dig, we dig & it rains, there is an 800 fee, we send the crew out to shoot a quick (or thin) layer of shot create to hold everything in place.

If we are scheduled to dig & there is no rain forecasted, we dig,--- if it rains - we cover the cost.

But we didn't talk about after the dig. Like days 2, 3, 4, etc. I'm pretty confident no rain tomorrow. But freaking out about the rest of the week!

On Saturday I asked when we make the decision about the weather & the dig, he said if it's not raining, I'll see you Monday

I'm probably about 45-60 minutes from you. I know that's not a guarantee we have the same soil, but I think most of us in this Houston area are known to have heavy clay soil.

The day of my dig, it rained off and on the entire time. Not downpours, but enough to keep everything wet.

As soon as the dig crew finished, they covered the entire thing with heavy tarps. We had rain for several days after that and no problems. So maybe the tarps helped and maybe the clay helped keep it together.

And you know how our Gulf weather forecasts can go! I'd never bet on them one way or the other. Hang in there, and let your PB do the worrying. You're paying him enough to do the worrying, right?!

And most of all, like the others have said.... the hole can be repaired. It's not permanent! Take care! Suz.

Lol. You are so right! This pool is costing almost what my first house cost! But I'm a ball of nerves & ready to kill the hubby over every little thing. Like seriously it's like the TV show "Snapped" over here. :hammer:

$800 isn't pocket change. I'd do it on their dime unless time is more important than money to you. Our contract was different, all on them. Interesting.

Re: What if - it's clear & we dig tomorrow & then it pours again?

Oh for sure. I'm trying to come up with cash to do a fire pit. I do NOT have 800 to play roulette with!

- - - Updated - - -

Suz, did they hold off on your rebar until after it dried up?

Re: What if - it's clear & we dig tomorrow & then it pours again?

Whoa! I have to back up on my post. I'm sorry, but I missed your post about the $800 fee to you. No wonder you're stressed. I thought you just had general nerves like I did. But I didn't have to worry about eating bucks over a dig. I'm not eexperienced in this, but I haven't heard about the owner having to pay for a shakey dig - at least not around here!

Was that in your contract? The way our weather has been this spring, I personally wouldn't risk it. I need my sleep. If you're in a hurry, maybe that changes things.

I'm sorry I gave you all that cheery fluff. I think you have a right to be nervous. As for me, I'd also be mad. I hired a PB so I wouldn't have to shoulder the majority of risk. If I were a DIY builder, that would be different. That's his risk to take IMO. Now if your PB said he wouldn't dig due to the weather, and you forced the issue, then it seems the financial responsibility switches to you.

The 4 contracts/proposals I saw clearly stated what the homeowner's responsibilities would be including event type situations. None of them stated fees for a failed dig.

I hope I haven't muddied up anything. Sorry I didn't read more carefully. Suz.

- - - Updated - - -

We crossed posts. Rebar was done immediately after the dig on the same rainy day. So to correct myself, the tarps were spread over the Rebar over the hole. Let us know what you decide. Suz.

Looking at the weather forecast I think things look fairly safe, while there is a 25-50% chance of rain much of this week, the total projected rainfall is only a small fraction of an inch on most of the days, and even the worst day is calling for less than 1/2 inch.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Yeah Suz it's crazy. Pretty much if they advise against digging due to weather and we are in a hurry & choose to have them dig anyway, then we shoulder the cost.

Which I will NOT do. So I'm not worried about that really. I'm just worried about what it will do to the site after the dig. The following days. I'd feel so much better if they can get the rebar in same day! I was thinking of an empty dirt hole with no bones sitting in the rain for a week.

They are here! They are here!!!!!!!! So excited!!!! Builder said that it is Texas, it is going to rain - if we know it is going to be a downpour we won't dig, otherwise we dig and we can cover with tarps if we need to and if it caves we deal with it. To go drink a Mimosa and relax . . . cuz they are digging!

Sounds like fun, try not to be so stressed and enjoy the process. So, did you accept responsibility and the possible fee? Remember your hiring them to deal with issues and headaches. ;)

Is the robotic cleaner your only cleaner? Did you look at a cleaner that uses a booster pump (and dedicated plumbing)?

Oh, this is going to be a great day! The guy's right - go drink your favorite beverage and enjoy. It sounds like the weather guys are already backing off of some of the rain they forecasted.

I read some post where the family set up lawn chairs, drinks, snacks, and turned their dig into a party!

You're on your way now, Sunbaby!! Suz.

Sounds like fun, try not to be so stressed and enjoy the process. So, did you accept responsibility and the possible fee? Remember your hiring them to deal with issues and headaches. ;)

Is the robotic cleaner your only cleaner? Did you look at a cleaner that uses a booster pump (and dedicated plumbing)?

Absolutely not - I would not even consider it! They aren't concerned with the weather at all - said they will probably tarp the sides tonight when they leave.

I can almost guarantee you this. The $800 is in place for the high maintenance home owner who demands the builder work on days that the builder thinks is a day/week that they should not work. Its the way the the builder says to the high maintenance home owner, fine I'll dig it, but it is a terrible idea, and it will cost you. Obviously you have to tell the PB what to do since you are specifying the pool, but as long as you don't tell the PB when to work, and how to do the work, then the PB will shoulder the cost of the issues.

Of course, there are caveats, like when digging they run into a sewar line, or 2 feet down they run into solid rock and have to jackhammer the rest of the hole. For my PB, they did things based upon hours and knowledge. They told me that it should take 10-12 hours to dig the hole and rough grade my yard with the backhoe. They hit significant rock, took them 16 hours, so he asked for the cost of 4 extra hours of digging, which while I hated, I understood. But at one point before they coudl finish the walls/etc, we had severe rain, and i have probably 5 feet of water in teh deep end of my pool. I didnt have to pay anything for that to pump out, etc.

Good luck.

Yeah - I feel they are being very fair - and I also feel that the 800 is for high maintenance home owners. Luckily the skies are blue right now!!!!!!! We haven't hit rock or water yet - and they seriously look like they are almost done digging.

We are on an acre so they have been spreading the dirt around in low spots for us.

They did hit a pipe - not sure what it is - but it was empty - I think it might have been original pipe for the septic sprinklers (before they were moved) - they were dry and only about 12" down.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.