What if - it's clear & we dig tomorrow & then it pours again?

Maybe a bit unrelated since I have an AGP but when we hired a guy to do grading for it we had a spot that was clear and nearly level picked out but it was a good ways from our house. We thought that was going to be all we could afford to do it there. He suggested we clear and grade a wooded area much closer to the house and said he'd do it for 400 bucks. We said sure go ahead!!! By the time he got through he stood there hemming and hawing and talking about he underestimated the job like he expected us to ask him if he wanted more. Needless to say, my wife wrote the check out for 400 bucks. I felt bad but it was his mistake, not ours. Good luck on your build Sunbaby!

Maybe a bit unrelated since I have an AGP but when we hired a guy to do grading for it we had a spot that was clear and nearly level picked out but it was a good ways from our house. We thought that was going to be all we could afford to do it there. He suggested we clear and grade a wooded area much closer to the house and said he'd do it for 400 bucks. We said sure go ahead!!! By the time he got through he stood there hemming and hawing and talking about he underestimated the job like he expected us to ask him if he wanted more. Needless to say, my wife wrote the check out for 400 bucks. I felt bad but it was his mistake, not ours. Good luck on your build Sunbaby!

Good story. Bet that he wanted to put the pool in closer to your house for convenience sake. So in some ways you were doing him a favor.

Well - I haven't been able to get my flicr account to add any pics - but when I do I will add them to my build thread. Yesterday we finished digging and rebar. Today the plumbers are here and working in the RAIN. Like hard rain. Its crazy. Thankfully no lightning. But these are some hardworking guys!

I"ve got a cooler with sodas and water for the teams of workers- - did you guys do anything else for the workers? Snacks/chips/donuts. etc? They come in and do their work and never say a word - I want to be gracious - but I don't want it to be all weird.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I did the same. If they are working late into the night, in order to try and beat the rain, or whatever, then a pizza would not be out of order. Workers need to eat, so they have energy to keep working! :whip:

I"ve got a cooler with sodas and water for the teams of workers- - did you guys do anything else for the workers? Snacks/chips/donuts. etc? They come in and do their work and never say a word - I want to be gracious - but I don't want it to be all weird.

I did the same. If they are working late into the night, in order to try and beat the rain, or whatever, then a pizza would not be out of order. Workers need to eat, so they have energy to keep working! :whip:
I wish I would have thought about it yesterday. I just was so overwhelmed - the first crew left - and the second crew showed up - they don't even say a word - they just get straight to work. We had to chase them down as they were leaving and force sodas on them! lol

I am going to go get some snacks that I can put out back so they can grab it when they want it - next to the cooler. And if they work late again - I will get them dinner. I just asked the plumbers if I could get them lunch - they said no. :) So I said - you don't want a hamburger for lunch - I will go get them for you guys - and they said no thank you.

Got shot down :tongue:

It was cold here last Autumn when I was having my pool built, so I used to keep my pool builders fuelled with homemade cakes, cookies & brownies and washed down with copious quantities of tea & coffee & hot chocolate :)

There is something to be said about keeping the crews happy. When they feel appreciated, I've seen them go the 'extra mile' to return the favor. It's human nature to reward kindness, and from what I experienced, the construction workers are not an exception!

I tried to keep a cooler of waters, sodas, etc handy for them, and occasionally we would do pizza for the lot. I'm not suggesting that they would do a sub-par job if you didn't accommodate them, but I'm a true believer that your appreciation and positive feedback for their work goes a long way to them.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.