Painting a pool

May 31, 2013
Virginia
First let me say I've read dozens of threads that say don't do it. However, our pool is already painted. It is currently emptied due to extensive repairs to our sinking-on-one-side-patio (the pool is built into a giant retaining wall into a steep hill). While power washing and cleaning up the pool, I noticed there were a 4-5 quarter size chips of paint flaked off on the bottom, some with plaster exposed.

My questions are:

1. Has ANYONE painted their pool and had it last more than 2-3 years? Our pool had been neglected for at least 5 years (renters living in the house before us) yet the pool and paint were in good condition when we moved in. If so, what kind of paint did you use?

2. If we decide to paint, I would like to paint it a sand colored paint. I love the look of a more tropical soft blue pool. However, our pool is on the smaller size (20 ft across with depths of 3-5 ft). Will it look like a beige hole in the ground?

Any comments or advice is welcome.

No, as long as it is a lighter, more white-ish color ,it will look like shallow ocean water. More bluish. The more tan-brownish you get, the more green the hue. Paint is good for about 2-3 years tops. Good luck on your project!

Painting a pool is 70% Preperation, 25% quality materials, 5% a guy with a roller.

Be sure to perform a 3 step chemical wash (tsp-acid-tsp) for your surface I would use a gunzite primer from Olympic and also Olympic epoxy paint.

If you do this and do it to spec, you will get a solid 5-6 seasons out of your pool with proper chemical balancing ofcourse.

Pretty consistently, we hear reports of paint peeling/chiping in 2-3 years. Your mileage may vary. Let us know how it turns out, and show us some pics when you're all done. Would love to see it.

My neighbor across the street , who has since sold the house, said every spring he would drain his pool and paint it with basement paint. I personally thought that was a bad idea and can't imagine how many layers of paint are on there if it were to ever need to be removed and replastered. Asked my PB if they painted pools and he said he used to have a guy he would contract to do it, but now he just tells anyone that asks that they don't do it. Also said its a big pain to remove it for a replaster. He charges in neighborhood of 2k just to sandblast it off. Good luck if you decide to paint. I imagine its the cheaper option in the short run.

With proper preparation and care paint can last. I have a commercial customer that made six years. This spring we are sandblasting and starting from scratch. One of the biggest keys to paint lasting is doing what the label says. Follow directions. Do not shortcut it.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.