Greets from Canada's Wet Coast!

Soundy

May 3, 2015
Abbotsford, BC
Howdy all,

Not ENTIRELY new to pools, but still pretty green (pardon the pun) to pool maintenance. When we bought our house a year ago in December, the pool had already been closed down for the winter, and in the spring, we called their old pool guy to come open it up for us. By fall he seemed to have dropped off the earth, so we did a half-baked job of closing it down ourselves... now we've almost got it ready to go, about 90% through the chemical treatments recommended by our water test. Figured it would be a good idea to start learning more about taking care of it through the year!

Do you have a GOOD test kit? Around here we all like the TF-100, but I'm not sure they can be shipped your way. Another option is the Taylor K2006 (with the all important FAS-DPD chlorine test) so you'll get the most accurate tests and you'll be able to determine exactly what your pool needs. AND what it doesn't need, which is just as important.
First step is to read the Pool School articles (above right link) and get that test kit. Stay away from pool stores whose main goal is to sell you products.

I'll look into those, thanks. We just have the little bottle of test strips for now... we have a couple different local stores who sell the same BioGuard lines and have the BioGuard test systems. So far neither has been any kind of high-pressure sales, although one is generally a lot cheaper than the other.

Welcome to TFP.

The ABC's of pool water chemistry is an excellent article to start with pool school.

The TF100 can't be shipped to Canada unfortunately, but the K2006 is avalible through a certain supplier. Sorry I don't remember the name.

Welcome again, and enjoy the forum.
Thanks for the warm welcome, all!

Fortunately, I live about five minutes from the Sumas crossing, and have a friend who lives in Lynden, WA, ten minutes down the road from there. Shipping isn't a problem :)

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.