Total Alkalinity Issues

00xavier

Silver Supporter
LifeTime Supporter
Sep 10, 2013
Melrose, NY
I am just starting up my pool after a very rainy Spring and my Total Alkalinity (TA), Calcium Hardness and CYA are unusually low. What would you recommend?

PH - 73-74
TA - 40
CYA - 5
Calcium Hardness - 100
Borates - 30

Did the water have time to mix well before testing? That's key. You may have a layer of rainwater on top that hasn't mixed. If so... How does the water look? If it's green or there's any algae, you want to SLAM. For that, you want things balanced but keep CYA to about 30 until you're done with it.

Next question: what chemicals do you have on hand? If you have any leftover Cal-hypo from before you discovered TFP, you can use that to chlorinate until the CH is up where you want it.

Otherwise, get bleach in first. Then mess around with the CYA and the sock. Then it's your choice whether you add baking soda or Calcium next. Too many chemicals too close together could cause some cloudiness, so space them apart a couple hours, and don't freak out if it happens. It will clear up in a day or two.

I tested the water again and mixed it well. The TA is still coming up at 40. My pool water is clear and sparkling. The pool chemicals that I have on hand are liquid chlorine and muriatic acid. What should I do to balance my water and in what order?

Thanks

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.