Repair tile and crack behind tile ( images resized )

Dan-H

LifeTime Supporter
May 28, 2011
No. CA
edited out huge images...

Looking for some advice on repairing this tile.

The remaining tiles seem solid and the plaster isn't cracked. I'm tempted to just glue the tile back on and would advice on what adhesive to use.

There was a little shifting of the deck into the stairs a few years ago, and this year one of the tiles popped off, and if you look closely, there is a crack diagonally on the backing material for the tile. The pool doesn't seem to be leaking. Advice/Opinions/Suggestions.

Basically is it OK to glue/cement/plaster the tile back on? or should I get this looked at now while it is off?

On the someday/maybe list is a re-plaster so if there is more that needs doing it could be attended to at that time, but a re-plaster is not in the budget for at least a few years.

2015-05-03 10.32.31.jpg

Last edited:
Re: Repair tile and crack behind tile

note:

In the third picture, the green stains behind where the tile came off are algae stains.

Same picture at the water line on the right side, the green fleck is landscaping droppings that blew in overnight, not algae. The grout lines seem to be intact in the area where this one tile came off.

Re: Repair tile and crack behind tile

You are probably not getting much response because it takes so much time to open your thread with those huge files. Try emailing the pics to yourself and see if the software doesn't automatically reduce them for you down to around 50k.

To put the tile back temporarily, (maybe a swim season) you can try cleaning off as much of the old thinset as possible and cauling the back of the tile and gluing it on. You could then use colored caulk to fill in around the tile. I suggest polyurethane caulk.

Depending on how good of a job you can do (this won't be overly easy) will determine how long the tile stays on.

Epoxy will work also but it is even harder to work with and still make look nice.

Thanks. I hope it holds up.

I cemented it in around 5pm yesterday. This morning we had heavy rain/thunderstorms and at least 1/2 of rain. (really weird weather for CA) but the pool level is above the bottom of the tile. Hopefully it had enough cure time.

I hope it is OK to post the product I used. I bought this to seal up a leaking light housing. It has a little flex but is also easy to work with. The marine (canoe/kayak/sailboat) world raved about this and how it holds up to salt water so I thought I'd give it a go.

655-8-pkg-outlined.jpg

posting a followup. It has been 14 months since the tile was glued back on and it is still working well.

It doesn't look perfect, however none of the grout looks perfect so I guess I'd say it matches.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.