Handling gap under coping / coping separation

Oct 15, 2014
Austin,TX
I've got a flowerbed next to my pool (borders the shell). I noticed recently that it was staying most in one corner, so I excavated and found that the (outside of the) shell itself was moist. In trying to diagnose the root cause of this moisture (which I think also may explain a few tiles that popped loose), I noticed that several of my coping stones have become separated from the pool shell and there is now a decent gap between the two (see link to picture below). I am assuming that water gets splashed into these gaps and then wets the shell, gradually causing the bond between the two to fail.

My question is, how should I deal with this issue? Should I just caulk the gap with some silicon, or do I need to put something in the gap (under the coping) too? Do I need to do something more substantial, like removing the stones and having them reattached (new thinset?)? Could I caulk now and then come back with something more permanent (expensive) if the stones actually come loose?

The pool is ~12 years old. We just moved in at the end of last Summer. Is this typical wear and tear or a sign of something worse?

Thanks for the help!
Brian

https://www.dropbox.com/s/csv5kd2hd5hxx3y/2015-05-02 14.52.40.jpg?dl=0

What does it look like from the top? The coping may have settled and it may not be easy to put back down correctly. It can be fixed inexpensively, I think, but we would need to have a look from the top maybe five feet away.

It's still a little hard to see but it appears that your gaps between the coping and the decking and the gaps between the deck gaps themselves are not properly sealed. If that is true, I would correct that first.

Then, remove the affected coping pieces and grind off as much old thinset as you can. Reapply new thinset and grout and you should be all set.

I think freeze/thaw has "popped" that coping up and once properly sealed, it will stay down.

Thanks Dave. So, I should rip out the old stuff in the expansion joint between the deck and the coping and then fill in with some new material, right? Any recommendations on what product to use? I've done expansion joints between sidewalk slabs with backer rod and flexible caulk, is this the same routine?

If I'm going to remove any coping stones, I guess I should do that before I mess with the coping / deck joints, right? Otherwise, I'll just wreck that when the coping comes up?

If it's going to be a while before I can attack the coping/thinset, should I go ahead and caulk the gap between the coping and the pool shell? Or do I need to just get this done ASAP (my kids are already swimming pretty regularly).

I've never done thinset and grout. Do you think this is a job I can DIY or do I need to find a concrete/masonry pro? Thank you!!!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.