2 years since filter cleaning and SWCG inspection. How does it look?

ComputerGuyInNOLA

LifeTime Supporter
Oct 20, 2012
Mandeville, Louisiana
It has been two years since I cleaned my filter cartridges and SWCG. My pressure just hit the 25% mark. My SWCG has been producing chlorine with no problem. I keep my water balanced year round and never close the pool. I figure since I was so AR about keeping the water balanced using your methods it would payoff with less equipment maintenance. Lets see how that worked out.

Picture of Pool

1.jpg

Filter Pressure

2.jpg

Popped the top of the Filter - Really dirty

3.jpg

Two down, two to go. Will let my son have at the next two. It took about 20 minutes to clean each one.

5.jpg

Lets see how the SWCG faired after all this time.

10.jpg

Wow, It looks brand new inside.

Lessons learned from this.

1 - Clean your filter more often even if you don't reach the 25 % rise in pressure.

2 - Keep your water balanced and your SWCG (and your wallet) will thank you for it.

Cheers,

David

Reactions: afbatts
Excellent post!

I keep my pool open and balanced year round too. I mean, with a good test kit and recommendations found here, it's just so easy to do!

I clean the filters each spring, and each fall. They are big like yours, and they never even get close to the 25%, but I cleean them anyway just because I want to.

My SWG also looks brand new inside it.

:lovetfp:

Nice post cgi.nola

filter cleanin dave!
Cuz you want to? Dude, I have actual dirty filters available for cleaning any old time. :-D I've already had to clean mine three times this spring cuz the trees are bonkers with dropping stuff!

Thanks for the kind words everyone. I wanted to post this to confirm that what is taught on this forum WORKS! I will now clean my filter at least yearly but I love the fact that after nearly three years I have had absolutely no problems. It gives me a great deal of peace of mind to know what I am doing. I learned everything I need to know by reading, and re-reading this forum. A big thank you to everyone who makes this site possible. Swim time!!! :swim:

Reactions: afbatts
Awesome! You're spot on with your assessment and I couldn't agree more. With our water now properly balanced, the SWG is performing like it should and the pool is wonderful. (oh, yeah and it helps that my filters are white again ;) )

This is indeed a great forum!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
If you have trees around that produce a lot of pollen, and if you did not run your pump for 2-3 days, the top of your pool would look like a green swamp. Leaves are pretty conspicuous and are readily removed quickly, or should be. It is the inconspicuous tree pollen, the fine cotton-like floating debris from palms, the dust from wind and when guys cut yards and use blowers, etc. If your pump is on, most of this will bypass the skimmers easily and the pump filter as well [if it not real clogged].

A balanced pool in proper chemical equilibrium will prevent algae from forming and thus being stuck in the filters and darkening them, same w a variety of minerals [ie scale, CA, etc] that are not properly treated/well water w high mineral content, etc. Bottom-line, leaves are never really the issue bc you see them and remove them. It's the particles you do not see and unbalanced pool water that creates havoc on filters. Just monitor your pressure gauges for the 15-20% increase rule and clean at a minimum once per yr and if you want to be proactive under optimal water chemistries and "normal" debris entry, clean them in spring and fall. Another plus is the reduction in pump stress and better uninhibited water flow. One note: Make sure [w cartridge systems] you flush out the bottom real-well and remove all debris & pebbles if you have a pebble-based finish....

Good luck to all and a belated Happy Easter, tstex

We get a lot of pollen. Sometimes I go out in the morning and our pool tile and polaris hose is yellow. We run our pump daily and year round due to the fact we have a SWCG. Winter is 4 hours a day at 10% swcg runtime. Summer is 8 hours at 60% swcg runtime. While I agree that pollen will bypass the skimmer baskets I dont think it will bypass a cartridge filter, at
least not mine, unless one of the cartridges has a hole in it.

Yes the pollen has been very bad this year, it seems to take a very long time before it's removed from the pool by the filters. I still clean filters two times a year. Right now i'm on a November then May filter cleaning routine. Cleaned the SWCG for the first time in 1 1/2 years and it looked almost brand new inside. I was thinking there would some build up on the plates because my CH hangs around 350, but it was good.

Taking care of your pool always pays off. However you should check your cell more often. I have seen cells that have so much build up in them I am surprised water can still pass and some of these are brand new and under a year old. On the filter I don't trust filter gauges. A lot of them don't work. If you have a VSP YOU WON'T GET A READING ON LOW RPMs. You must only check it a highest RPM. The most tell tale signs are Pump not filing up all the way and if you have a spill over on spa it will slow down. I am a Jandy warranty person and service over a 1000 pools a year. I would never just clean filters just once a year. At least twice a year.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.