PH readings acting strangley

Jul 6, 2013
Waxahachie, Tx.
I got a strange thing going on with the PH readings I have been taking for the past week. I just happened to stumble on to it when I tested the water and got a low PH reading around 7.2, I retested with the same sample water in the same bottle and the PH 7.8, because I suspected that it wasnt right. I then tested again and again with same water on got 7.8.
Now everytime I test my PH the same thing happens. I have tried taking sample water from different locations with the same results. First test 7.0 approx, all tests thereafter 7.8( with same sample water). I am every careful in rinsing the test tube before and after each test. I gather water from as deep as i can. Could it be an issue with the reagent. It's a year old, been keep in the house in the closet(cool location). Never stored in direct sunlight or outside.

If it was a reagent problem it would be the same every time. You need to look at what is different the first time from every other time.

I wonder, do you rinse the test vial out indoors with tap water? You presumably don't do that each time in a series of tests.

I'm using Tapatalk so if your test equipment information is in your signature I can't see it, so I'm sorry if this is already stated, but this sounds eerily familiar with what happened when I used to use a LaMotte ColorQ tester. Would that be the case here? What tester are you using?

Tested this morning. Steps as follows. Rinsed sample bottle with sample water. Drew sample. Rinsed test tube with sample water. Shook reagent bottle vigorously applied drops and took reading of 7.6 to 7.8 first test.
The shaking vigorously is the only difference

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I would replace the reagent. It seems that, for some reason, the reagent is separating and not staying mixed. That would match your results. The first test mixes the reagent when you turn it upside down.

update- bought new bottle of R-0004 reagent for PH test. First test w/o shaking up bottle was 7.8, so was second test.
Conclusion-after a year with the bottle stored in a control temp room, the reagent had started to seperate enough to cause first test out of the bottle to be off by 0.4 to 0.6. Have since thrown out old reagent.

I occasionally get different readings from the first test and a subsequent test. I'm not always sure why this can happen. I would suggest the following:

1) Mix the reagent before testing.
2) Rinse the test tube and cap before and after each test.
3) Test twice to ensure accuracy.
4) Note that the readings can be inaccurate at high chlorine levels.
5) Try using a speed stir to ensure fast and thorough mixing.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.