Replacing single speed pump with variable speed

Paul G

Jun 23, 2010
My pool pump is dying. It is a Pentair WFE-6, or model #011514, 1 1/2 HP single speed pump. I can replace it with an identical pump for around $550. Is it advisable to step up to a variable speed pump at this time?

My pool is an in ground pool, about 16,000 gallons.

We have a solar heater on the roof of the garage, the pump will have to push water up to and through that heater. The highest point of the heater is about 20' above the ground, it is about 130' run of pipe from the pump to the heater. 2" pipe all the way. We have a small waterfall, and in floor pop up cleaning heads.

What would be the proper variable speed pump to replace the 1 1/2 HP single speed pump?

Can a variable speed pump handle the extra load of the solar heater and still use less power?

Something to consider, we use the heater in spring, March, April, and May. Then again in the fall, October, and November. The rest of the year it is not used.

Thanks for your advice.

How attractive a variable speed is depends on your electrical rates. If electricity is $0.20/kWh or higher then a variable speed is certainly worth it. Below that, you are probably better off with a two speed.

For solar, the variable speed will save a little when the solar is on, and way more when the solar is off. The two speed won't really save anything when solar is on.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.