Just dump em all in at the same time

Status
Not open for further replies.
chlorinator pays for itself within a few months; after that you're saving heaps of money

there's no practical difference with the order you dump chemicals into your pool. just dump em all in at the same time if you like.

6.8 ph is fine; your ph drifts upwards naturally anyway which is why you gotta keep chucking acid into your pool. i'd just dump in some bicarb soda which will raise your TA and ph, or just leave it raise itself naturally. only time you really have to increase your ph is if the kids swim in the pool and come out an hour later complaining about their eyes burning

Re: High CYA

who cares about high cya. my target level is 100 because of the hardcore queensland sun. it's never hurt me brah i wouldnt worry about it

- - - Updated - - -

also it will come down over time sooner than you think

We do not suggest running this high. For the vast majority of pools by far, Cya 100 is too high. If you get an Algae bloom at 100 Cya its really a problem to overcome. Do what works best in your pool, but that level is not advisable.

Re: SLAM & pH Question

chlorinator pays for itself within a few months; after that you're saving heaps of money

there's no practical difference with the order you dump chemicals into your pool. just dump em all in at the same time if you like.

6.8 ph is fine; your ph drifts upwards naturally anyway which is why you gotta keep chucking acid into your pool. i'd just dump in some bicarb soda which will raise your TA and ph, or just leave it raise itself naturally. only time you really have to increase your ph is if the kids swim in the pool and come out an hour later complaining about their eyes burning

This is very poor advice, and taken literally by someone it could mean mixing them together might be safe. The results of doing that could be very bad.

We have suggestions in Pool School about the proper way to add chemicals of all types. Please refrain from making such statements.

Once again.....This is very poor advice.

Also, pH 6.8 is not fine. If you hit it there as an overdose of acid that's one thing, but just as a statement it is not to keep it there. Again, there a specific reasons we give on the guidelines of chemical balance. Adding chemicals should always be done in a careful and calculated manner.

Sensitivity to low PH varies, but just about everyone will be complaining about burning eyes when the PH is as low as 6.8.

The real problem with a PH reading of 6.8 is that the most common PH tests will report anything lower than 6.8 as 6.8, so there is no telling how low the PH really is. Really low PH can seriously damage the pool in various ways. It is best not to take that risk.

It isn't all that common, but adding pool chemicals in the wrong order and cause calcium clouding, which can't be filtered out and often won't go away until you adjust the chemistry correctly.

I'm not really sure what kind of "chlorinator" you are talking about when you say "chlorinator pays for itself within a few months; after that you're saving heaps of money". Assuming you means salt water chlorine generators (SWG), they tend to break even with other forms of chlorine over the lifetime of the unit. With a SWG you spend the money up front, rather than slowly over time. The final cost tradeoffs can come out either in favor or against depending on what prices are in your area.

The statements you've made in the two posts in all cases don't apply to my experience with my pool and especially the idea of dumping everything in at once. That is just a really bad idea for anyone no matter what pool or what conditions. Most of the chemicals can be harmful to the pool and or hazardous to the user if not handled properly and it's smarter to treat them with respect and adjust one parameter of the pools chemistry at a time so you're not taking chances.

It's clear that this post serves no good on TFP to remain open. Rather than allowing it to continue to be "bumped" up, it will now become closed. LL Pool J, if you wish for this to be re-opened please PM me and I'll happily allow you to continue this debate.

Lee

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Status
Not open for further replies.
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.