Where should I pour my CH and MA? My return jet is very weak.

Apr 20, 2015
Oro Valley, AZ
Hello!

I have just recently adopted the TFP method this past month. Thank you for the help! All the forums say you should pour your chemicals in front of a return jet in order to mix them all in. I only have one, and it is in the shallow end next to the skimmer over the lagoon step (18 inches deep). I've been confused because every time I put my hand over the jet, I can't feel anything. There is definitely no jet of water. I have felt it when the pump is on high and low. I even put some food coloring in front of it and it didn't do anything. Does it not work maybe because all the water is getting blown back in via the in floor cleaning jets? That would be my best guess. In that case, how would I go about adding my chemicals? I have just been slowly pouring them into the deep end, then brushing the sides and floor afterward. I don't want to damage my pool in any way -- is there something I should be doing? Should I be diluting too?

Thanks again!

In-floor systems often send all of the water to the in-floor jets, so they can be as effective as possible.

Since you have some kind of return jet in the shallow area, there might be a valve somewhere that turns it on, or it could just be leftover from some previous setup that was subsequently disconnected.

Your alternative approach to adding chemicals is fairly good, but might not be quite enough for muriatic acid. I suggest pre-diluting muriatic acid in a bucket first, and then adding it as you describe.

I wouldn't. I would prefer to go the diluted method Jason suggests, and pour it in slowly in a deeper part of the pool. Additionally, you could do a little brushing in that area to move the water around for any that settles near/on the bottom.

I was thinking there may be a valve you need to manually turn to switch the flow to the return jet - i turn mine to switch from the spa jets to the pool jets when i add chemicals, but its odd that there's just one so that kind of doesnt seem like the solution.

You can just pour the chlorine in and brush,it as you've been doing.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.