Screwed by the Pool Store?

LBTRS

LifeTime Supporter
Aug 24, 2008
Phoenix, AZ
We have had our pool about a month and the only thing I seen them add at startup were Salt, Liquid Chlorine and Muriatic Acid. I have a TF-100 kit but questioning my CYA numbers as I had to fill the tube to not be able to see the dot. I took some water to Leslies Pool Supply for testing and was told I had a CYA reading of 0. I purchased a gallon of Conditioner and was told that the entire gallon would raise my pool to around CYA 30.

Two weeks later (today) I take some water back to the same store and now have a CYA reading of 100. :(

Using my TF-100 kit it appears that I can't see the dot around the 40 level but the guy at the pool store was certain that it was at 100 and told me not to worry about it as it was within acceptable levels.

He also said I have a phosphate level of 500 and sold me another $40 jug of "PhosFree".

What would you guys recommend as the proper way to proceed? Drain water, test again, etc.?

Thank you.

Believe your own testing! The pool store number is not plausible. Your CYA is around 40.

Phosphates almost never make any difference as long as you maintain the correct FC level. Don't waste money on phosphate remover unless you actually have a problem that can't be solved a simpler (read less expensive) way.

Leslie's always tries to sell PhosFree. Before I found this forum, I bought a lot of expensive chemicals I didn't need and had a green pool to boot.

Trust your test results, heed the advice here, and avoid Leslie's if you can. :)

JasonLion said:
Believe your own testing! The pool store number is not plausible. Your CYA is around 40.

Phosphates almost never make any difference as long as you maintain the correct FC level. Don't waste money on phosphate remover unless you actually have apronlem that can't be solved a simpler (read less expensive) way.

If no CYA was added at startup is there any way that I could have CYA in the water if nothing but Muriatic Acid, Salt and liquid cholrine have been added? Is there CYA in tap water or does it get in the water some other way? The jug I added said it would raise a 10k gallon pool to 30 and my pool is bigger than that. Is there any way I could get to 100 if all that has been added is one gallon of conditioner?

Thanks for your help.

Is there any way I could get to 100 if all that has been added is one gallon of conditioner?
Short answer...No. If you've never put any other CYA in your pool, you have no other CYA. It's not in tap water and doesn't occur in nature.

Trust your test results and the dosage on the side of the label of the CYA...that's how much you have.

As Jason said, believe your own testing.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.