New to the Site and Need Help

TJ0214

May 3, 2015
Atlanta
Hello everyone, very happy to find this place. I just wish I would have found it a few days earlier. So I have tried to read some stuff and will continue to educate myself but wanted to get some advice quickly before I make any more mistakes. I just bought this house last year and the pool was crystal clear. We had a skimmer pipe clog and was unable to get the pool started in time before the warm weather kicked in and it turned green. I put about 20 pounds of shock in and used some liquid bleach. The pool is blue now or what I should say is very very cloudy. I talked to the pool store and they told me to put this Flock in and this stuff called Revive which you hose on top of the water? They said put in recirculate mode for 5 hours and then just let sit for a few days. So this is day number 2 and I am a little worried because I see no difference in clarity. I have already spent 500 bucks on chemicals so far and honestly am about tapped out. So I did order my own test kit based on what you guys recommend with the spinner. Till then I would like to get on the right track. Here was my read out before I put in the flock and revive.

FC = 0.18
TC = 0.29
CC = 0.11
PH = 8.6
Hardness = 187 PPM
Alkalinity = 23 ppm
Cyanic Acid = 84ppm
Copper = 0.1
Iron = 0.1

They told me not to add any chemicals until after this process? Is that correct? Im nervous by letting the pool sit that it will start to turn green again. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Would pictures of the pool or anything like that help?

You need to visit pool math to get your FC up and your PH down. You will need some acid for the PH.

- - - Updated - - -

I just plugged your numbers in and it looks like 30 ounces of liquid acid and about 4 gallons of 8.25% regular bleach. No splash-less or scented stuff.

If you really want to take control of your pool and stop being dependent on the pool store you need to start by getting reliable test results. Pool store testing has proven wildly unpredictable, far far less reliable than you might think.

We don't recommend using floc or revive, they just increase costs, require extra effort and often cause more trouble than they are worth. If the floc was going to work, it would have made a big difference in the first 24 hours.

I suggest doing what Defgufman proposed as a stop gap. Then when your test kit comes in do a complete set of tests and post your results so we can give you specific advice.

Thanks guys. So Since I already used the Floc and Revive they told me not to run the filter because it would mess up the sand. What do I do now? Do I use recirculate mode? How long until I can filter the water again?

It looks like you are not performing the FC,CC, or CH tests correctly.
Each drop for the FC/CC tests represents 0.5 ppm, so you should end up with a number that is in .5's.
for the CH test, each drop represents 25 ppm so your total should be a multiple of 25.

Welcome to the forum. :wave:

Well, assuming 'revive" is phosphate remover, it is worthless but it is also harmless. The floc may or may not gunk up your filter. It also is junk, too, so don't use it anymore.

Stay out of the pool store, get your kit and post your test results as soon as you can.

I would vacuum to "waste" to see if you can get anything off the bottom. Assuming you can't, start filtering immediately but backwash somewhere around every 12 hours to keep your filter cleaned out from any potential "junk" that the floc caused.

Since I can't see the bottom yet I am worried about Vacuuming the bottom. I can't see the bottom of the 3ft part yet either. I will stop for now adding anything else but the bleach recommended to me until the test kit comes in. Should I wait another day or so to use filter mode?
?

Cannot comment on what the flock and revive might do to the filter. Probably not many folks here can because those are not recommended chemicals for TFPC. I guess you will need to rely on what the pool store said about them. Are there instructions on the bottle?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
You need to maintain chlorine in the pool based on your cya level according to this Chlorine CYA Chart. We have to assume for now that cya is 84, so min FC is 7ppm. Don't let FC drop below 7 or algae will grow even more.

Use PoolMath to figure out how much to add.

While waiting for your test kit read these
TFPC for Beginners
ABC's of Pool Water Chemistry
Recommended Levels
Recommended Pool Chemicals

- - - Updated - - -

Once your test kit arrives and we get a good cya test we can go from there. If it is still high we will recommend a 30% or so partial drain and refill to lower it. Then it will be time to SLAM Your Pool

Ok guys I finally was able to do a good test. So Pool is blue but very cloudy. I hope I did everything right, I feel like a chemist now haha.

So I have

FC = 8
CC = 1
TC = 9
CH = 225
TA = 30
CYA = 40

I am hoping thats all I had to do. So I am ready for my next steps. So appreciate the help guys!

- - - Updated - - -

IMG_0503.jpg

The greenish brown at the bottom of pool is like a white brown kind of dirt and the darker part at the deep end Im guessing leaves and such.

With your CC of 1 and cloudy water you should still be in SLAM mode.
Your done with the SLAM when
Your water is crystal clear. Your sand filter may take a little longer to get rid of the cloudiness.
You have CC 's of 0.5 or less.
You can pass the OCLT Test.

Do I need to SLAM it again? It was Dark green with frogs in it before. Now its blue and cloudy. I will check PH. I have not tried that piece of the test kit yet. The debris at the bottom I have not been able to see until recently. It started to clear up until I started running the Polaris to get the leaves and it clouded it all back up.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.