One skimmer enough??

Jul 13, 2008
Are pool is getting shot on Monday. I was surprised that the builder is only putting in one skimmer. Our last pool which was existing at the hosue we moved into was 16x32 and had 2 skimmers (it was modified kidney). Our new pool is 16 x 32, more of a modified roman style..with the back of the pool bowed out in a curve. There is only one skimmer. Does that seem right?

Here's pics thus far:

http://picasaweb.google.com/linusb1/PoolBuildWeek2#

If I had 2 skimmers, it would do a better job of skimming the surface area of the pool. It works fine now, but when the pollen/dirt/leaves and wind are high outside, then I have to clean the filter sock on the skimmer basket much more often. Usually happens in the spring opening and when the local trees/foliage are in full bloom. 2 skimmers will just do the job much better for our size of pool is all.

If it comes down to cost, and you are comfortable with 1 skimmer, then that is most certainly fine as we are fine with the one we have, but if I was building, then I would definitely use 2.

Just my own personal preference is all.

Our design is utilizing one skimmer, in the basin of the negative edge. Is this recommended? It seems that an additional skimmer in the main pool (38x16) wouldn't see much action since everything is being pushed over the large infinity edge.

One skimmer would be just fine just by looking at your landscape. Are going to buiild a landscape around you pool deck? If so, I would ask for another skimmer. If not, ask the builder to install one wide-mouth skimmer.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.