Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: One skimmer enough??

1. Back To Top    #1

One skimmer enough??

Are pool is getting shot on Monday. I was surprised that the builder is only putting in one skimmer. Our last pool which was existing at the hosue we moved into was 16x32 and had 2 skimmers (it was modified kidney). Our new pool is 16 x 32, more of a modified roman style..with the back of the pool bowed out in a curve. There is only one skimmer. Does that seem right?

Here's pics thus far:

http://picasaweb.google.com/linusb1/PoolBuildWeek2#
    Intex 15' x 36" Easy Set Pool
    Intex 2500 gal/hr pump/filter
    Sunheater 2' x 20' Solar heater
    TF - 100 Test Kit

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: One skimmer enough??

I have one skimmer with a 16x32 pool. Look at my sig pics if you wish. I wish we had 2 though.

Hope that helps.
    Chad R.

POOL SIZE: 16 x 32' Vinyl lined pool. 22,000 gallons. 8' deep. 2009 Hayward 1.5 HP Super Pump. Hayward S310S 30" 500 lb Sand filter. 1 skimmer and 2 returns. Solar Blanket.

Pics of my pool: http://s307.photobucket.com/albums/nn312/reindeerboy/

3. Back To Top    #3

One skimmer is enough, but two is much better.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

4. Back To Top    #4

Quote Originally Posted by reindeerboy
    I have one skimmer with a 16x32 pool. Look at my sig pics if you wish. I wish we had 2 though.

Hope that helps.
    Quote Originally Posted by JasonLion
    One skimmer is enough, but two is much better.
    why??
    Our pool- (in process)
    38x15 Free Form Gunite (3.5'-8'), 26' Negative Edge and 7' Negative Edge spa with blower, Midnight Blue Diamondbrite, AquaLogic PS-8 control, Goldline Salt Chlorine Generator, 1.5hp Pentair 2 speed pumps (2), Pentair DE Filter, Pentair 400k BTU Heater, and BlackMaxPolaris 280 cleaner with Hayward booster pump

build diary

5. Back To Top    #5

If I had 2 skimmers, it would do a better job of skimming the surface area of the pool. It works fine now, but when the pollen/dirt/leaves and wind are high outside, then I have to clean the filter sock on the skimmer basket much more often. Usually happens in the spring opening and when the local trees/foliage are in full bloom. 2 skimmers will just do the job much better for our size of pool is all.

If it comes down to cost, and you are comfortable with 1 skimmer, then that is most certainly fine as we are fine with the one we have, but if I was building, then I would definitely use 2.

Just my own personal preference is all.
    Chad R.

POOL SIZE: 16 x 32' Vinyl lined pool. 22,000 gallons. 8' deep. 2009 Hayward 1.5 HP Super Pump. Hayward S310S 30" 500 lb Sand filter. 1 skimmer and 2 returns. Solar Blanket.

Pics of my pool: http://s307.photobucket.com/albums/nn312/reindeerboy/

6. Back To Top    #6

Our design is utilizing one skimmer, in the basin of the negative edge. Is this recommended? It seems that an additional skimmer in the main pool (38x16) wouldn't see much action since everything is being pushed over the large infinity edge.
    Our pool- (in process)
    38x15 Free Form Gunite (3.5'-8'), 26' Negative Edge and 7' Negative Edge spa with blower, Midnight Blue Diamondbrite, AquaLogic PS-8 control, Goldline Salt Chlorine Generator, 1.5hp Pentair 2 speed pumps (2), Pentair DE Filter, Pentair 400k BTU Heater, and BlackMaxPolaris 280 cleaner with Hayward booster pump

build diary

7. Back To Top    #7

I think the fact that you have an Infinity Edge makes a huge difference. The infinity Edge will act as one BIG skimmer for the whole pool. I think you'll be fine with a skimmer in the trough.

HTH,
    Adam
    18' x 42" Intex Easyset Pool, with 16' x 52" deep end in the middle. Approx. 5500 Gal.
    Hayward Power-Flo LX 1 HP, 100# Jacuzzi Brand Sand Filter(Piped underground so it looks nice) 8)
    3 - 2' x 20' Solar Pool Heater Panels(roof mounted)
    Goin' on 9 summers...NOBODY thought it would last this long.
    Buried Portable Spa sharing pumps and water with pool (Almost complete project)

8. Back To Top    #8

In the Industry

One skimmer would be just fine just by looking at your landscape. Are going to buiild a landscape around you pool deck? If so, I would ask for another skimmer. If not, ask the builder to install one wide-mouth skimmer.
    35000 in ground vinyl liner with cartridge filter
    Birmingham,AL