Hurricane - Still no power

tmike

Feb 27, 2008
I'm in Houston and it has been a week without power since Ike. I shocked the pool before the storm and a couple of times since and the chlorine level is at 4. The ph is OK but is low in the spa. I have been brushing the sides daily and see no signs of algae. Does anyone have suggestions about anything else I can be doing? Many thanks.

Keep doing what you're doing :wink: If you can get some circulation going while adding the bleach, etc. that would be great :) Brushing will work for circulation until the 'lights come back on'

You're doing the right thing and all should be good (after a good vacuuming :mrgreen: ) when the power comes back on!

I hope things get back to ~normal soon :!:

I have a huge sense of accomplishment tonight. After Ike, we were without power for 9 days...we just got our service restored late yesterday afternoon. I hauled three good sized limbs and several trash bags of crud out of the pool over the course of the week+ that it was out of commission. I was possessed by not letting the gunk sit any longer than it had to. I also kept adding enough bleach to keep the chlorine around 5. I'm pleased to say that 24 hours after we got electricity back, we were able to turn the pump off! My Ph and alk are both a little on the low side, but I can get those back up. The water is clear and there's not a speck of algae to be found! :-D

Hang in there. The power will come back and it sounds like you're doing good.
We got our power back last Wednesday. BUT... The pool pump quit 2 days before Ike came in and I was wayyy too busy to do anything about it. Likewise for a day or two after. I wasn't able to brush mine in that time period so now I'm looking at a nice, green, frog pond. :whoot:

Here's a thought (don't know if it's worth anything). If you have a generator, could you use a wet/dry shop vac as an ersatz pump??? you would have to weight the one end, maybe use some hose extensions to rig it deeper in the pool for water rotation.

I thought of that while our power was out. But for numerous reasons, I was unable to put it to the test and the pump turned out to just have a piece of debris caught in the impeller causing enough drag to trip the breaker.

I'm still new at all this treatment system, haven't had a long enough period of normal conditions/weather to figure it out yet. So I'm off to find some topics about green pools. :wave:

I got power back yesterday after 9 days. I bought a hose-powered cleaner over the weekend and it worked great to pick up the debris that I couldn't fish out with my net. The shock treatments worked real well and after about 15 hours of filtration the pool is clear, no sign of algae and the chlorine level is about 5. I'll take a full reading tonight but all of your advice really helped. Thanks a lot!

tmike said:
I got power back yesterday after 9 days. I bought a hose-powered cleaner over the weekend and it worked great to pick up the debris that I couldn't fish out with my net. The shock treatments worked real well and after about 15 hours of filtration the pool is clear, no sign of algae and the chlorine level is about 5. I'll take a full reading tonight but all of your advice really helped. Thanks a lot!

The hose powered cleaner is a great idea to pick up dirt AND help circulate the water. I hadn't thought of that, but you can bet I'll buy one before the next hurricane pays us a visit!

tmike said:

CONGRATULATIONS :!:

Glad you and the pool survived with no permanent damage :goodjob:

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.