Salt cell showing 0 instant salt

May 3, 2014
Mississauga
I have a Hayward T cell 15 with omnilogic controller. The equipment is from last year.

I opened my pool yesterday (aboit 20 hrs ago) and started warming the water. At 66F (12 hrs into heating) I turned on the chlorinator to 100% with heater and pump running. It's about 8 hrs later now, the temp in in the 70s, however in diagnostics the instant salt reading is 0 and there is no current in the cell (voltage is fine)

Any idea why the cell isn't detecting chlorine? My pool had about 3200ppm salt last season (I emptied about 1/3 for winter and refilled with tap water so salt should be low, but not 0)

Thx for your help!

There are two cases where the instant salt reading will be zero. The first is if the cell is not currently active it will show an instant salt reading of zero. You appear to have done the correct things to check for that, turning up to 100% and insuring that the water is above 60 degrees should allow the cell to always be on. There are a few cases where it still won't go on, for example low salt, but all of those will show an error light or code. So if you do have a low salt error light, that is what is happening.

The other possibility is that the current limiter has burned out. When that happens the unit will show zero salt until it is repaired.

Thanks for the quick replies! I have Hayward omnilogic which doesn't have low salt light, However in diagnostics the instant salt reading is 0. My guess is the actual number is prob around 2000ppm based on last year's number and what I drained and refilled. Will get it checked by the pool store too but having a reading of 0 concerns me.

Hum, on OmniLogic, a low salt error will show up in the Alarms list. There should be an Alarm icon that will take you to a list of alarms.

When you have a low salt error, the unit will turn off 99.9% of the time, activating only rarely to check the salt level again. If you check the instant salt reading, it will be zero 99.9% of the time because the cell is not active, regardless of what the actual salt level is.

What is the average salt level showing?

OmniLogic is quite new, so I don't have enough experience with it to be completely sure about this specific issue. It makes sense that you need to give it 24 hours before it will update the average reading after being off for months.

From your description, it does sound like the salt level should be low, and I would expect it to give you an alarm about that. But again, it might take 24 hours before it is "sure" of the reading and willing to show the alarm.

So I went to the main board, reran the config while the cell was unplugged and reset stats too. After starting up, plugged in the cell. Lo and behold, readings are fine and cell is working (still low salt as expected). Not sure if it's the resetting that did it or the fact that the cell had to be unplugged during config (there was a warning on the salt cell wire to follow this step which I don't think I've ever followed)

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.