Air in Line When Pump Starts

Jul 12, 2010
DFW, Texas
Good evening, I have a new development recently. Somehow air is getting in the line when the pump is off. When the pump turns on, there was so much air that it bubble the water over onto the coping and was violent. However, once the air is out, there is no more air in the line and all is well. Water loss does not seem to be an issue as I am topping it off as usual. Is something loose?

Welcome to the forum!

Assuming you are using the original hoses/fittings, you need to check the O-rings and gaskets on each fitting. If there are any cracks or worn spots, they need to be replaced, including the O-rings inside the valves.

Are you using pool lube on them? I know Intex says you can use petroleum jelly (vasoline), but that is a mistake. Your rubber parts will last several years if you use pool lube, or plumber's lube, as these are safe for the rubber parts.

If any need to be replaced, check your local hardware store and auto parts stores for replacements. The only style they are not likely to have is the stepped washer. However, a reasonable facsimile can be had in the plumbing section.

Thank you for the insight. Weird, this morning it did not do it. But last night I tightened down the relieve valve I guess you would call it that is on the pressure gauge on the DE Filter. I remember a few weeks ago after backwashing I had loosened it to bleed out the air when turning on the system after recharging the filter. If that is what was causing air to creep in I must not have tightened up enough. I did have to tighten it significantly with pliers to get it to quit trickling water. It is 10 years old now which is so hard to believe. Might be time to replace that piece. Seems like we just built the pool a year or two ago.

I really screwed up my response.....I overlooked this line in your first post.....
Somehow air is getting in the line when the pump is off.
That is NOT necessarily a suction side leak and your idea of sealing the "relief valve" was very likely the source. Sorry to have mislead the thread.

BTW - If you are having to use pliers, you really need to replace that valve.....it's cheap.

Well, maybe I did not look close enough yesterday when I turned on the pump. There is a little bit of air pushing out but it subsides after a few seconds. One thing additional I noticed, when I turned on the pump I was looking down at the pump and thru the filter lid it looked like milk. That is DE. So, a small amount of DE is working backwards as well. I think we have isolated the continuing problem to the something with the DE filter. May still just need to replace that valve on top of the filter. We shall see.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.