Deep Cleaning Sand filter, need a piece replaced.

Apr 24, 2014
St. Louis
So I watched the video on deep cleaning Hayward sand filters, and mine was AWFUL, I let water run for two hours and it still was black, gunky, goo coming up. I have decided to clean out filter and replace with new sand, we have only lived here for a year and I don't think the previous owners EVER deep cleaned or changed the sand and the pool is 12 years old at least. Anywho... When I pulled the top multiport thing up there was a part that was broken, I did not do this, I guess it ran fine last year like this. But I want to make sure the efficiency of the filter isn't compromised and can I order and replace this part that is broken? It's the piece that sits on the white pipe that comes out of the sand inside the filter.

image.jpg

This is the piece that is broken. My pump is a Hayward E-Series E-200. It looks like there are three or four sections and only one is broken.

- - - Updated - - -

I'm also replacing sand today if anyone can give me tips on that. I finally got all the sand out last night after many cuss words; my pump is under the deck an in the most awkward place it was a pain but hopefully it will be the last time I EVER do this. My laterals bend up so once that contraption was out is was easy breezy.

Do you have the model number of the filter ?? And or the model/serial number off the label on the face of the multiport ??

Attachments

• multiport hayward parts diagram 1.jpg
    multiport hayward parts diagram 1.jpg
    35.1 KB · Views: 75
  • multiport hayward 1.jpg
    multiport hayward 1.jpg
    86.6 KB · Views: 76

Attachments

• SP0714D.gif
    SP0714D.gif
    4.9 KB · Views: 58
Awesome! Thanks for the info guys, I'm just ordering the whole assembly, they have it on Amazon for $75, mine looks pretty old anyway. Mine is plumbed with pvc so I'm sure I will be back with questions on how to plumb the new one.

Awesome! Thanks for the info guys, I'm just ordering the whole assembly, they have it on Amazon for $75, mine looks pretty old anyway. Mine is plumbed with pvc so I'm sure I will be back with questions on how to plumb the new one.

I bought one from Amazon 2 years ago. It's a fairly simple job. If you don't have unions already with your pipe assembly, consider adding them. Better yet, buy a union with a valve.

I bought them at Lowe's. I have one before the input to my pump and one at the output from the valve/filter.

(it's for 2" PVC in the link but you need 1.5")
http://www.lowes.com/pd_209667-33599-P200U-40+2"_4294821976+4294821174_16?productId=3138603

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I tried to click on the link but it no longer works. After spending an hour in Lowes scratching my head and trying to figure out all the fittings, I think I've got it. I purchased these unions http://m.lowes.com/pd/Homewerks-Worldwide-1-12-in-Dia-PVC-Sch-40-Union/50160561 to help me disconnect my new multi-port valve easier for deep cleaning the sand filter. They have a little o ring in them. It will hopefully make that task easier. I have all the pvc supplies ready! Now just waiting mpv to arrive. Feel free to chime in with suggestions ��

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.